News AMD Ryzen 3000 Series CPUs: Rumors, Release Date, All We Know About Ryzen 3 (Update)

abryant

Asst. Managing Editor
Staff member
May 16, 2016
We separate the rumors from the facts about AMD's upcoming Ryzen 3000 chips. Read more here.
image-1-.png

PAUL ALCORN
@PaulAlcorn

Paul Alcorn is a Senior Editor for Tom's Hardware US. He writes news and reviews on CPUs, storage and enterprise hardware.

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
I initially thought the AdoredTV predictions were beyond ridiculous. Now ... they might not be so implausible after all.

Consider:
7nm "halves the power consumption at the same performance level". Given that the Ryzen 3300G has clocks listed below the 2600 (3.0/3.8 vs 3.4/3.9), and the same number of cores & threads, the CPU portion should consume half the 65W that the 2600 does. That means it has half its power budget left for the GPU portion. The graphics specs are less plausible but not impossible - the Ryzen 2400G has 4 core/8 threads in 65W; the 3300G would have less than 2X the amount of CPU and GPU, and lower clocks, so the numbers still work.

The price though... that seems impossibly good. Makes sense in that too high a price might scare people off, but they would have to liquidate their entire inventory of 2200G & 2400G before even announcing the 3000's at those prices, because no-one's going to buy a 2400G at more than $99 after they officially announce the 3300G at $129...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
This "news" article is rather scant on "news"...more like a collection and rehash of everything that has already been said. Just the same, very exciting and I am anxious to see something real release on the desktop front.

hannibal

Distinguished
Most likely 8 core will cost about the same as old 8 core, it will be just faster because of upgrades. 16 core could be douple the price of old 8 core and even then it would be bargain compared to alternatives!

InvalidError

Titan
Most likely 8 core will cost about the same as old 8 core, it will be just faster because of upgrades. 16 core could be douple the price of old 8 core and even then it would be bargain compared to alternatives!
If there is only a relatively tiny incremental improvement in performance per buck, then the additional value per dollar won't be worth bothering with for people who already have somewhat recent CPUs and won't change the upgrade case by much for people still holding on to even older CPUs. Most people who really want one already got one, the rest have little additional reason to pull the trigger, that's rarely good for sales growth. If you are skeptical about AMD shaving prices, I'll remind you that the 2000-series' MSRPs are ~10% below the 1000-series MSRPs. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3000-series launched with another ~10% launch MSRP shave.

Only 3-4 more months to go before we find out how impressed or disappointed we'll be.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
How bad can it be?
Jim at AdoredTV has received a lot of criticism for being overly optimistic regarding Zen 2 (and Navi), so now he's done an analysis of how what a worst case scenario could be, based on what we actually know about Zen 2 (and AMD's marketing).

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
This article delivers exactly what it promised, is well-written, and nicely summarizes the situation. As an AdoredTV fan I was pleased to see the proper credits given there, too. Thanks.

hannibal

Distinguished
One sure thing is that old Ryzen 2000 series has better bang for the buck in the Beginning. That is just economically vice. After a couple of months it is harder to say. But always when there has been new cpu/gpu the bang for the buck has been in older versions because They will be sold out.

InvalidError

Titan
But always when there has been new cpu/gpu the bang for the buck has been in older versions because They will be sold out.
Unless they're Intel CPUs, in which case the retail price for new-in-box parts tends to go up instead of down once the higher-end CPUs of a given generation are discontinued and stay there until the CPUs are no longer relevant.

May 31, 2019
The last round of significant price cuts I remember seeing from Intel was over 12 years ago. 'Some' time indeed!

Intel does not need to cut prices. I was just at a computer store last week and there were 20+ Intel based laptops and 1 Ryzen. The Ryzen laptop was a 15+" HP laptop which looked like a big brick next to Intel models. AMD will get like <10% of the market share and that is it. Intel won't allow more. Especially the server processors, mission impossible...