[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3600X stock fan

JML987

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
While at resting/minimal processes, my CPU fan randomly decides to increase in speed for a short burst, then go back down to normal speed and I can't figure out why..

Resting temperature is around 39C, but out of nowhere it will randomly increase it's speed and then go back down to normal. it's very noticeable as it's quite loud when it increases.

CPU voltage is around 1.4300. I'm not sure if decreasing this will solve anything at all? I've tried adjusting the fan settings in BIOS but it doesn't change much at all.

Full build:
AMD Ryzen 3600X
32GB RAM - Vengeance LPX/Vengeance RGB pro.
GTX 1060 6GB.
Mobo - ROG Strix x470-f Gaming
500GB samsung SSD.
Corasair VS650 PSU

Solution
All completely normal.

I even double checked with the forums myself a little while ago. I knew the technology behind it, but wanted to verify my fan was normal - i have since found it is: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-3600x-temperatures-and-loud-cooler.3512705/

The sudden temperature fluctuation and fan RPM ramp up with this is normal as the 3600X operates a rush from sleep, so it pumps it full of voltage to bring it out of sleep and then stabilises, this creates a lot of heat in a very small area, which causes your temperature to spike and the fan to ramp up and down with it.

Voltage for the new Ryzen series sits between 1V and 1.5V so it's normal to be at 1.4V.
I since ran various tests just to confirm and it...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
All completely normal.

I even double checked with the forums myself a little while ago. I knew the technology behind it, but wanted to verify my fan was normal - i have since found it is: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-3600x-temperatures-and-loud-cooler.3512705/

The sudden temperature fluctuation and fan RPM ramp up with this is normal as the 3600X operates a rush from sleep, so it pumps it full of voltage to bring it out of sleep and then stabilises, this creates a lot of heat in a very small area, which causes your temperature to spike and the fan to ramp up and down with it.

Voltage for the new Ryzen series sits between 1V and 1.5V so it's normal to be at 1.4V.
I since ran various tests just to confirm and it is all perfectly normal behaviour. Leave it well alone IMO.

Solution
While at resting/minimal processes, my CPU fan randomly decides to increase in speed for a short burst, then go back down to normal speed and I can't figure out why..

Resting temperature is around 39C, but out of nowhere it will randomly increase it's speed and then go back down to normal. it's very noticeable as it's quite loud when it increases.

CPU voltage is around 1.4300. I'm not sure if decreasing this will solve anything at all? I've tried adjusting the fan settings in BIOS but it doesn't change much at all.

Full build:
AMD Ryzen 3600X
32GB RAM - Vengeance LPX/Vengeance RGB pro.
GTX 1060 6GB.
Mobo - ROG Strix x470-f Gaming
500GB samsung SSD.
Corasair VS650 PSU
That's because you have to adjust your fan profile.

The way Ry3k works is to agressively boost one core at a time up to, or close to, max clock speed that results in a massive temperature increase in that one single core. Since Ryzen reports the highest temperature from among the many on-die sensors you'll see it as a jump in temp that ramps down as the boost subsides.

So fans with bad curves will pulse like that if they're monitoring CPU temperature. What I do is set a curve that's flat all the way up to 65-70C at the highest fan speed that's barely audible. When temps go above 75C or so, only then does the fan start to ramp up. Stops all the pulsing.

And do not decrease voltage even though it will seem to do some good. Yes, it will run cooler but that's because it's not boosting so high anymore which is killing performance.