[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3600X temp

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice. I have an AMD Ryzen 3600X with a Cryorig H7 cooler. I want to play the sims 4, but even on medium settings my temperatures for everything else is fine but my CPU is sitting on 65-75 degrees Celsius. Now I know this is ok, but I’m seeing if there is any chance to lower this.

I have some thermal grizzly paste in my drawer that I haven’t used yet, wondering if I should apply this? I also have 6 fans, 3 at the front, 2 at the top and 1 at the back. One of these is reversed so it allows airflow out.

I have some funds - should I upgrade my cooler? Should I upgrade anything? I have a Phanteks P400a case. Like mentioned all my other temps are sitting at like 40-50, so I’m not
Worries about that. CPU is my only concern.

thanks!

Solution
One of these is reversed so it allows airflow out.
WHAT?????

Yeah, your cooling system has configuration issues. The front fans should be intake, bringing air INTO the case. Any bottom or side fans that are present and in use (Not usually present or in use on most modern cases) should also be intake.

Top and rear fans, ALL of them, should be exhaust fans. And with an air cooler like the H7, you don't really want to use any top fan location that is parallel to or in front of your CPU cooler. My recommendation would be to remove that other top fan, leaving only the top-rear fan in the top, and move it to the front as an intake. That will leave you with three intake fans in front, a rear exhaust fan and a top-rear exhaust fan...
One of these is reversed so it allows airflow out.
WHAT?????

Yeah, your cooling system has configuration issues. The front fans should be intake, bringing air INTO the case. Any bottom or side fans that are present and in use (Not usually present or in use on most modern cases) should also be intake.

Top and rear fans, ALL of them, should be exhaust fans. And with an air cooler like the H7, you don't really want to use any top fan location that is parallel to or in front of your CPU cooler. My recommendation would be to remove that other top fan, leaving only the top-rear fan in the top, and move it to the front as an intake. That will leave you with three intake fans in front, a rear exhaust fan and a top-rear exhaust fan, which will be located BEHIND the CPU cooler, rather than in front of or in line with the front of it.

The reason you really don't generally want to use any middle or front fan locations in the top of the case when you are using an air cooler is because then it will "steal" the cooler ambient air coming in through your front intake fans. It will come right in the front of the case and then go right back out through the middle or front fan location if you have a fan there configured as an exhaust, so you don't want, and don't NEED, that.

Two exhaust fans is generally enough for most all systems, and you want them behind the CPU cooler so that they are immediately evacuating any hot air rising from the graphics card or passing through the CPU cooler, and to reduce the internal case pressure so that the front intake fans can more easily move air into the case without having to struggle.

That alone will probably make a big difference. And no, you do not generally want to make any of those top fan locations into intake fans, or you'll likely create a turbulence problem in front of the CPU cooler.

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution
This is what you want to see when you are properly configured for 99.9% of tower cases with bottom mounted power supplies.

eGfaFHL.jpg

Reactions: kurdtnz

checott

Prominent
Dec 26, 2019
This is what you want to see when you are properly configured for 99.9% of tower cases with bottom mounted power supplies.

eGfaFHL.jpg
This helps a ton, this is essentially how my case is configured minus the intake fan on the bottom and the exhaust on the bottom left. So you're suggesting I completely remove the front fan up to the top? I should follow this diagram exactly (minus the two I mentioned I don't have?)

Is this all I need to do? I don't need to upgrade my cooling, thermal paste or anything like that?

This helps a ton, this is essentially how my case is configured minus the intake fan on the bottom and the exhaust on the bottom left. So you're suggesting I completely remove the front fan up to the top? I should follow this diagram exactly (minus the two I mentioned I don't have?)

Is this all I need to do? I don't need to upgrade my cooling, thermal paste or anything like that?
Exhaust at bottom left is PSU, that doesn't count much if any for case airflow. Bottom blue arrow shows air intake for PSU only, if there was another fan down there it would be further to front.
The erst is fine. You should strive to have in and out of air to about equal flow and in case of that picture there should be slightly positive pressure in the case which supposedly keeps dust from settling on the parts inside.

Correct. The PSU in 90% of configurations, if it is a bottom mounted PSU, should be mounted with it's intake grill facing down, and will vent directly out the back. That is totally separate from the rest of the case. It is it's own system and is not part of the cooling system of the rest of the case in most modern configurations.

What I "AM" saying, is that I'd recommend that you have either two or three front intake fans, one exhaust fan in the back of the case at the top, and one exhaust fan in the top of the case in the very rear-most location of the top.

Do that, FIRST, and see what your thermal response looks like, and THEN after you do that and have some data to work with we can know whether something else is needed or not.

Much like a car with battery cables that are corroded, you need to replace the known problem cables FIRST before you can know if you actually have a battery or alternator problem. Otherwise, you might replace the battery, or the alternator, and STILL have the SAME problem, because you didn't address what you already KNEW was wrong first. You might still have to replace something else afterwards, but at least it won't be replaced unnecessarily.

Reactions: CountMike