Question AMD Ryzen 3600x vs Intel i7-4790

Sep 28, 2019
I currently have the 4790 and game with it (mainly modern warfare) but I'm looking at buying a new mobo cos mines ugly asf.

The i7 gets overturned by 3600x but benchmarks don't tell the full story.

I'm currently getting 75-80 fps on CoD now, will the 3600x beat that, and will there be more longevity on the card and mobo or should I just stick with what I've got and buy a new LGA1150 mobo?

I know there are other restrictions like a gpu bottle neck, but my gpu performs at like 80% where as most of the time my cpu is at 90-100% which makes me believe there's a bottleneck

Thanks a bunch

COD modern warfare doesn't seem to benefit from more than four cores, however, the Ryzen 5 3600 and 3600x not only have more cores and threads, they have significantly better single core performance and IPC. So for situations where you become CPU bound, yes, you should see a corresponding significant performance increase in FPS IF you are not gaming at settings that are creating a GPU bound condition.

What is your graphics card model?

The 3600 or the 3600x paired with the GTX 1080 would be a fine pairing. Paired with the GTX 1060, it's a bit overbalanced towards the CPU, but that's probably acceptable because for CPU bound games that are lacking in FPS (And don't increase in FPS when you reduce graphics settings because the CPU is already maxed out) it will definitely improve things there and shift the bottleneck to the card instead.