[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3700X/AMD 3900X with X470/X570 motherboards

stevenh777

Honorable
Apr 26, 2018
If I were to get the AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU, the X470 motherboard would perfectly be fine even if I want to try to overclock it to the max potential of the cpu?

But if I wanted the AMD Ryzen 9 3900X would the X470 be efficient enough to OC all 12 cores, or is the X570 motherboard more ideal in this situation.

Also can anyone confirm what is the exact difference between the X470 and X570 motherboard? the price difference is pretty huge, is this all because of the PCI gen 4? Or is there more to it.

Solution
Unless the power delivery was extremely basic, then yes to both CPUs.

As for the "exact" differences, it's predominantly PCIe Gen4. Between being the first to market with PCIe 4.0, the added chipset cost/heat, additional requirement of a fan, that drives cost up.
Alongside that, you get the usual incremental improvements in chipset; PCIe lanes, USB etc. The biggest driving factor in the cost is PCIe4 and, to a lesser extent, the additional fan

For most users, who don't truly need PCIe 4.0 SSDs (as no single GPUs can take advantage right now), then there's not likely to be any performance difference between X570 and X470.... Or even a lot of B450 boards.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unless the power delivery was extremely basic, then yes to both CPUs.

As for the "exact" differences, it's predominantly PCIe Gen4. Between being the first to market with PCIe 4.0, the added chipset cost/heat, additional requirement of a fan, that drives cost up.
Alongside that, you get the usual incremental improvements in chipset; PCIe lanes, USB etc. The biggest driving factor in the cost is PCIe4 and, to a lesser extent, the additional fan

For most users, who don't truly need PCIe 4.0 SSDs (as no single GPUs can take advantage right now), then there's not likely to be any performance difference between X570 and X470.... Or even a lot of B450 boards.

Solution