[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3700x high temps whilst using any AMD power plan

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
Hi,

When using any AMD performance plan my 3700x CPU (using the stock cooler) is reaching ridiculous temperatures. Idle it'll sit around 55-65 depending on whether or not it's a hot day outside. Yesterday I played GTA V for 20 minutes and it reached 95 degrees. When I use the Windows Balanced Power Plan, temps reach around 75 degrees under load, which seems way more reasonable. Using this power plan the cores stay at 3.65GHz though, whilst the AMD plans constantly boost the cores to 4.2GHz. Is anyone else experiencing this issue and is there a fix?
Specs:

Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming
BIOS: 4804
CPU: Ryzen 3700x as stated
RAM: 4X4 DDR4 Vengeance LPX (Had to put DRAM voltage at 1.275v or the system wouldn't boot. Could this be upping CPU temps?)
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT H500i
Fans: 2x 120mm (back and top)
1x 140mm (front intake)

Any help would be much appreciated.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I'd redo your thermal paste, while 55C idle seems mostly normal hitting 95C is a little bit high. If you didn't place it directly flat down onto the board or an air bubble formed you would see temps like this.

fugalism

Reputable
Apr 4, 2016
I'd redo your thermal paste, while 55C idle seems mostly normal hitting 95C is a little bit high. If you didn't place it directly flat down onto the board or an air bubble formed you would see temps like this.
I already did that. Replaced the stock thermal paste that came with the cooler because I suspected it might be the reason for these temps. Applied some Arctic Silver 5 and made sure to put the cooler on in one go.

TRENDING THREADS