[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3900X Clocks

DarylEPerez

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2013
So, its been a while since I’ve had my rig (in signature) and I have noticed that even if I set my house at 65F(18C), my CPU will not go under 40C, however, it does not go past 67C while gaming and 70C at extreme tasks. So I took the CPU cooler and cleaned the CPU while also applied Thermal Compound and tried different things and still same temps.

Today, after doing some game recordings, I noticed that even at idle, my CPU will stay at 4.2GHz. It keeps itself between 3.8GHz & 4.5GHz.

What do you guys suggest is happening here?

So, its been a while since I’ve had my rig (in signature) and I have noticed that even if I set my house at 65F(18C), my CPU will not go under 40C, however, it does not go past 67C while gaming and 70C at extreme tasks. So I took the CPU cooler and cleaned the CPU while also applied Thermal Compound and tried different things and still same temps.

Today, after doing some game recordings, I noticed that even at idle, my CPU will stay at 4.2GHz. It keeps itself between 3.8GHz & 4.5GHz.

What do you guys suggest is happening here?
What's happening is exactly what is supposed to happen. CPU frequency is changing according to what OS and SW demands of it. You can influence that behavior by changing options in Power Plan and checking your background tasks.
I take it you are using stock cooler so temps are great.

DarylEPerez

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2013
It's normal.
Normal with the
What's happening is exactly what is supposed to happen. CPU frequency is changing according to what OS and SW demands of it. You can influence that behavior by changing options in Power Plan and checking your background tasks.
I take it you are using stock cooler so temps are great.
no, I am using a CLC 280MM from EVGA, that is why temps do not exceed 70C even at Prime95. Even if CPU is at 2% usage it will run at 4.3GHz avg. so is like it keeps itself at near redline for no reason

Normal with the

no, I am using a CLC 280MM from EVGA, that is why temps do not exceed 70C even at Prime95. Even if CPU is at 2% usage it will run at 4.3GHz avg. so is like it keeps itself at near redline for no reason
There's always a reason, check background tasks first. Also check how many cores/threads it's running at that frequency and you are seeing only highest core while others or most may well be asleep or running at much lower frequency.
Set Minimum processor state to about 5% in Power plan and frequency should drop considerably at true idle.