[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3900x Stuck at 5.6 multiplier....

melloj

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Hello all,

I have a relatively new build consisting of the following:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
2 x Patriot Viper Steel 16GB DDR4 4400 Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Several SSDs and one spin HD for storage

Nothing is overclocked.

I have set the core speed and CPU ratio to Auto in BIOS and typically this means that the Core Speed is running at around 4200 Mhz (bus speed at 99.98 Mhz and multiplier between 37.75 and 43).

However every so often on cold boot, the multiplier seems to get stuck at just 5.6, so I end up running at 560 Mhz. No idea why this happens. For a while I set the CPU ratio at 40 and just left it at that and the issue does not arise, but I was worried that overstresses the CPU and set it back to Auto and the 5.6x lock starts cropping up again.

Any ideas?

Solution
Most up to date bios? If not, then try that, but be sure to do a CMOs clear afterwards to ensure the bios has taken correctly. It could be a remnant of older bios, causing a glitch.

melloj

Honorable
Feb 15, 2014
Hey there,

Have you got the Ryzen balanced power plan selected from power options? Try that and see how it gets on? Let us know.

Hi I have it set to the AMD Ryzen High Performance setting in power settings.

However, I am not sure that it is a power management issue since the CPU being locked to 5.6 multiplier only happens sometimes at boot and when I reset the sytem it will be back to normal and running the multiplier between 37-45 as needed by CPU traffic.