[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 3900x vs 3700x

Jun 12, 2020
Hey everyone,

I'm choosing between an AMD Ryzen 3900x and a 3700x for my gaming/video editing build. If I can save the ~200 dollars by going with the 3700x without sacrificing performance then I would definitely choose that one. But, will there be a noticeable difference between the two if I have premiere pro, lightroom, firefox, and outlook open at the same time? In this use case should I spend less on my GPU instead of sacrificing CPU performance?

Solution
The 3900x is more future-proof, with 12 cores compared to the R7's 8. Having Premiere, Lightroom, etc open at the same time probably won't slow down the R7, but the R9 is also going to have better performance and render times in those programs.

Aka go for 3900x if you can.
Nov 21, 2019
The 3900x is more future-proof, with 12 cores compared to the R7's 8. Having Premiere, Lightroom, etc open at the same time probably won't slow down the R7, but the R9 is also going to have better performance and render times in those programs.

Aka go for 3900x if you can.

Solution
Jun 12, 2020
The 3900x is a nice cpu but also note you will need to buy an aftermarket cooler to prevent thermal throttling under heavy use workloads. The stock cooler is for for more casual use.

Oh, I didn't know that. Will the stock cooler be fine if I don't overclock the CPU? Will there be thermal throttling in the workload I described earlier?