News AMD Ryzen 4000 Desktop APU Surfaces

Dear Dr. Lisa Su / AMD et al,

Please, make your CPU/APU naming schemes simpler to understand! We shouldn't have to know the version numbers of Zen, desktop, and/or mobile APUs to figure out which is better - why a 4000 APU uses the Zen 2 CPU but isn't necessarily better than a 3000-series desktop. Make all of the numbers tell you at a glance what you need to know, and let them connect to each other in easy-to-understand numbers - you know, synergy!

Zen could have all been 1000 series, Zen 2 could have all been 2000 series, and Zen 3 could all be 3000 series. Add a "M" at the end for mobile, "A" for APU, and make all the thousand-series numbers relative to each other in terms of performance. Keep the 3, 5, 7, and 9 to make it easy to compare against Intel, if you want. Just simplify the model #s in the thousand-series to make it easier on all of us!

You could even re-number upcoming Zen series to keep it all together - make Zen 3 into Zen 5 (e.g. 5000 series), and start fresh with simple to understand naming!

Last edited:
Reactions: King_V

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013

Please, make your CPU/APU naming schemes simpler to understand!

This ^^^

My first thought was that people will confuse the 4000 APU (Zen2) desktop series with the 4000 (Zen3) desktop series. As if they are somehow equal, with the exception of integrated graphics , or not.

Intel does naming, in general, better than AMD. It's much simpler by having the same naming convention, with the "F" added to the same family name to let consumers know it doesn't include graphics. Imagine the confusion if the 10700K used the 9700K CPU (8core/8threads). While the 10700KF was the newer 8core/16thread CPU. I think AMD needs to do a hard-stop so their naming conventions can re-align.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
This ^^^

My first thought was that people will confuse the 4000 APU (Zen2) desktop series with the 4000 (Zen3) desktop series. As if they are somehow equal, with the exception of integrated graphics , or not.

Intel does naming, in general, better than AMD. It's much simpler by having the same naming convention, with the "F" added to the same family name to let consumers know it doesn't include graphics. Imagine the confusion if the 10700K used the 9700K CPU (8core/8threads). While the 10700KF was the newer 8core/16thread CPU. I think AMD needs to do a hard-stop so their naming conventions can re-align.
Would imagine that Zen3 APU would be a 5000 series ...

Reactions: Hartemis

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014

Please, make your CPU/APU naming schemes simpler to understand! We shouldn't have to know the version numbers of Zen, desktop, and/or mobile APUs to figure out which is better - why a 4000 APU uses the Zen 2 CPU but isn't necessarily better than a 3000-series desktop. Make all of the numbers tell you at a glance what you need to know, and let them connect to each other in easy-to-understand numbers - you know, synergy!

Zen could have all been 1000 series, Zen 2 could have all been 2000 series, and Zen 3 could all be 3000 series. Add a "M" at the end for mobile, "A" for APU, and make all the thousand-series numbers relative to each other in terms of performance. Keep the 3, 5, 7, and 9 to make it easy to compare against Intel, if you want. Just simplify the model #s in the thousand-series to make it easier on all of us!

You could even re-number upcoming Zen series to keep it all together - make Zen 3 into Zen 5 (e.g. 5000 series), and start fresh with simple to understand naming!

I don't agree. The Ryzen 4000 Mobile CPUs are much newer, and have a different IO die, and were released a year later. I'm fine with Ryzen 4000 for some Zen 2 parts. It's pretty simple, CPUs with integrated graphics vs without. Not hard.

Reactions: alextheblue
Does that mean that Ryzen 4000 may be supported by 300 series motherboards?

I know that its just a Zen 2 APU and not Zen 3 but who knows.

Edit: I have an X370 and a 1800X. I will only upgrade to Zen 3.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

I disagree. Look at the current Intel 10xxx series, there's Ice Lake and Cannon Lake, both are using the model 10xxx, while 1 is 10nm and other is 14nm with an architecture that's the same since 6xxx series.

I don't deny I don't like the AMD naming convention and can't understand why the APU needs to be 1 generation behind, but certainly don't agree that Intel is better when it comes to naming convention.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Does that mean that Ryzen 4000 may be supported by 300 series motherboards?

I know that its just a Zen 2 APU and not Zen 3 but who knows.

Edit: I have an X370 and a 1800X. I will only upgrade to Zen 3.
Ideally yes. The only restriction I know so far is that the X570 don't support first gen Ryzen chips.

That is going to get awkward when you get the 5000-series CPUs on AM5 vs 5000-series APUs on AM4... unless AMD decides to re-align model numbers by making the Zen 3 APUs something like a 4x20/4x70 series so it can start clean from 5000 up..

Yeah, I think a clean start is the only way to straight out the model-number madness. I don't know if the CPU lids have already been labeled for the upcoming Zen 3 processor, but it would be nice if they could surprise everyone by cleaning it up.

Clarity of model-differentiation, especially for the buyer (consumer or business), will be even more helpful if they have a faster release cadence for newer CPUs. I mean, Zen 2 was released in July '19, and it's very likely Zen 3 will be out in Winter '20. Meanwhile, you could have someone less familiar buying a 4000-series now and thinking it's the stronger one over something like a 3900X, just because of the model number. So it's helpful to everyone to make the model numbering play a part in keeping the buyer slightly more informed in their purchase.

Hartemis

Reputable
Apr 24, 2020
Are you really sure this is an upcoming desktop APU?
The embedded V-Series and R-Series also support DDR4. And the 35W TDP is coherent for these APU too (I hope the AM4 APU will be 65W, with higher frequencies and more cores...).
And the embedded APU will require a specific custom chipset/motherboard, unlike the desktop apu/cpu.
The embedded series have not been updated since Zen 1 (14nm) and we know AMD is looking at the NUC-like market.

Last edited:

alextheblue

Distinguished
No, they can create two bios versions, one for Ryzen 1-2 and one for Ryzen 3-4.
The biggest restriction of all is... whether or not the OEM bothers with an older model. Many of them would prefer you buy a new board.
I disagree. Look at the current Intel 10xxx series, there's Ice Lake and Cannon Lake, both are using the model 10xxx, while 1 is 10nm and other is 14nm with an architecture that's the same since 6xxx series.
That doesn't even get into low-end chips and HEDT/server stuff. AMD is FAR simpler to grok, with the only exception being the AF chips. Overall it's not even close, the Intel naming system doesn't tell you much, thank goodness for ARK.

Last edited:
Here is a B550 chipset / AM4 socket. This one seems to be a Ryzen 4000G desktop APU:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/8-cor...g-on-par-with-the-Ryzen-7-4800H.464347.0.html

The AMD Ryzen 4xxx APUs for Notebooks have indeed already been tested, there are many reviews out there, in fact the Ryzen 7 4800H completely trash the new Intel Core i7 10750H (I believe the intel was ahaed in only 1 test of the many run on the review). For perspective the Core i7 10750H was installed on a more expensive laptop and been paired with a higher performance GPU (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooz7ozw-lpo
).

Amazing times we are living in the tech industry. Of course Im not naive, Intel is on a bigger node and all that but still ,the performance gain and power saving of this new Ryzen mobile parts just are great for the power road user or the gamer!!!

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS