News AMD Ryzen 4000 Joins GeForce MX350 In New Asus Zenbook 14 Laptop

Ugh, 2GB. There are already some games that even at low settings, chafe at that limit. Should have used a 4GB variant, or just stuck with the iGPU. They could have turned the 4800U up to 25W and used LPDDR4X 4266 and called it a day.

Then again, maybe they have inventory they need to burn through.
it have ONLY 2 gains in this config:
  1. dedicated ram, so gpu dont burn yours 16 GB. as a chrome user, I really love every spare MB of ram.
  2. dual gpu == twice the screens. If there is an option for usb-c(or TB) to hdmi. I really hope it is included.
as intel versions of this have gpu & non gpu versions,you should have an option.
I really wanted a new laptop ^ 98% like this one (swappable or faster ram+thunderbolt :( ) but all in all it's a good setup.
as its not meant to be played, that GPU is a bit pointless, but as mentioned dock with screens might be the reason to have that gpu on board.
I had UX32 as portable setup for ~7y now, but it decided to become 2 in 1 lately (screen is a separate component, plastic hinge snapped) and that ryzen powered one was very neat replacement I was looking for since January....
I really hope inventory will appear next month. I had a breakdown last weekend and ALMOST ordered i7 version of it :)

Last edited:
it have ONLY 2 gains in this config:
  1. dedicated ram, so gpu dont burn yours 16 GB. as a chrome user, I really love every spare MB of ram.
  2. dual gpu == twice the screens. If there is an option for usb-c(or TB) to hdmi. I really hope it is included.
as intel versions of this have gpu & non gpu versions,you should have an option.
I really wanted a new laptop ^ 98% like this one (swappable or faster ram+thunderbolt :( ) but all in all it's a good setup.
as its not meant to be played, that GPU is a bit pointless, but as mentioned dock with screens might be the reason to have that gpu on board.
I had UX32 as portable setup for ~7y now, but it decided to become 2 in 1 lately (screen is a separate component, plastic hinge snapped) and that ryzen powered one was very neat replacement I was looking for since January....
I really hope inventory will appear next month. I had a breakdown last weekend and ALMOST ordered i7 version of it :)
Yeah, no - an iGPU driver will only allocate as much RAM as it needs, and hardware compositing makes it so that data isn't duplicated anyway.
As for the number of screens, Windows is far too stupid to handle several screens through several adapters properly - I tried, it's crap. And AMD hardware can handle up to 6 screens since HD4xxx.
No, the main reason why they put that meh discrete GPU is because if there's no Nvidia, then it's not a laptop for gamers, regardless of actual performance.

Frankly, I would personally really enjoy a "pro" laptop like a HP Probook with a Ryzen APU : it's rather sturdy, you can service it quite easily, there is no discrete GPU because it's a "pro" machine - and Vega 7 on dual channel DDR4 should be plenty enough for the odd gaming session @720p Low if I don't have my gaming rig handy.

Yeah, no - an iGPU driver will only allocate as much RAM as it needs, and hardware compositing makes it so that data isn't duplicated anyway.
As for the number of screens, Windows is far too stupid to handle several screens through several adapters properly - I tried, it's crap. And AMD hardware can handle up to 6 screens since HD4xxx.
No, the main reason why they put that meh discrete GPU is because if there's no Nvidia, then it's not a laptop for gamers, regardless of actual performance.
  1. I am not using Windows, its that little thing that allow me to do a lot more.
  2. I did not try AMD igpu yet, but intel one does over-allocate a lot. (a game that used ~1.5G vram did fill my 32GB with buffers, when OS and non gpu game stuff was using ~7GB).

1. I am not using Windows, its that little thing that allow me to do a lot more.
  2. I did not try AMD igpu yet, but intel one does over-allocate a lot. (a game that used ~1.5G vram did fill my 32GB with buffers, when OS and non gpu game stuff was using ~7GB).
If that little thing has a penguin as a mascot, yeah, me too.
The Intel driver on that is undergoing a rewrite, but to my knowledge the AMD driver is rather functional on IGPs. I only did superficial testing, though - performance was good but I didn't look deeper.

If you want more info about Linux running on hardware, currently the refrence website is phoronix.com. The author wrote what is pretty much the only cross-platform benchmark suite in existence. There also is regularly performance reports for drivers updates, especially for Intel and AMD graphical hardware. Notably, a recent patch was announced that works around a performance problem for id games running on IGPs.