News AMD Ryzen 4000 Laptops Listed on Amazon China

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
I would so much love one just running off of the iGPU. Imagine what one could do with the real-estate vacated by the dGPU and surely it would save a bit on power usage.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Imagine what one could do with the real-estate vacated by the dGPU
Such as? A slimmer model without a dGPU would be FAR better served by a 4800U, which has a bigger graphics block clocked higher. In particular, one coupled with LPDDR4 @ 4266 would be ideal.
surely it would save a bit on power usage.
It would likely only save power when gaming, and that's when you want 3D performance the most anyway. Again, a 4800U is what you want inside of a iGPU-only laptop. It WOULD be nice if someone offered it in a 25W TDP-up config, but I suspect most OEMs will configure for 15W.

Umfriend

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2013
Such as? A slimmer model without a dGPU would be FAR better served by a 4800U, which has a bigger graphics block clocked higher. In particular, one coupled with LPDDR4 @ 4266 would be ideal.

It would likely only save power when gaming, and that's when you want 3D performance the most anyway. Again, a 4800U is what you want inside of a iGPU-only laptop. It WOULD be nice if someone offered it in a 25W TDP-up config, but I suspect most OEMs will configure for 15W.
Well, the real-estate could be used for SSDs, better/quieter cooling (imagine 2 fans working in tandem to cool just the CPU and they could be a bit thicker), 4 DIMM slots instead of 2?

I would think (but found no figures showing anything on dGPU idle power consumption) that a dGPU, even at idle, consumes quite a bit of power and savings on dGPU+Memory allow for other parts being better within the same budget.

Yes, the 4800U does seem a very nice chip and could rock with TDP-up of 25W to increase the base frequency. But I am not into GPU-oriented performance. For me, CPU and I/O is what matters. I would rather have Vega-5 or Vega-3 coupled with high-thread @ high frequency cores.

Reactions: alextheblue

alextheblue

Distinguished
Well, the real-estate could be used for SSDs, better/quieter cooling (imagine 2 fans working in tandem to cool just the CPU and they could be a bit thicker), 4 DIMM slots instead of 2?

I would think (but found no figures showing anything on dGPU idle power consumption) that a dGPU, even at idle, consumes quite a bit of power and savings on dGPU+Memory allow for other parts being better within the same budget.
I don't think you'll find much in the way of fancy cooling setups in anything that doesn't have a dGPU. Laptops without dedicated graphics use just enough cooling to get the job done. When a system doesn't even include the option for a dGPU, they shrink the entire unit, so there isn't any extra space to start with. When a dGPU is available but OPTIONAL, the space is largely wasted since they otherwise utilize the same CPU cooling and mainboard. They're not going to produce two custom mainboards for the same chassis/CPU combo, especially when the features they would be adding would be incredibly niche.

The exception would be the option for an extra SSD. That is a nice idea. However, since they're using the same board, I find it likely it would be SATA. Which would be OK for a secondary drive, if any OEMs bothered.
Yes, the 4800U does seem a very nice chip and could rock with TDP-up of 25W to increase the base frequency. But I am not into GPU-oriented performance. For me, CPU and I/O is what matters. I would rather have Vega-5 or Vega-3 coupled with high-thread @ high frequency cores.
I see. Personally I'd rather have the extra graphics punch, since so many things are accelerated by the GPU now. For example, you can save a LOT of power by offloading to the GPU when decoding 4K HEVC. Plus it opens up the option for casual gaming in a pinch. But who knows... maybe someone will stick an H/HS model in a system without a dGPU. I kind of doubt it, I think that's even less likely than an up-TDP 4800U.