News AMD Ryzen 4000 Renoir Desktop APU Specifications Leaked

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I am actually looking forward to AMD reducing the price of the current Ryzen 5 3400G with the release of desktop versions of Renoir. While the CPU is slower using the Zen+ chips, the Vega 11 is still quite formidable vs the 4c/8t Renoir Vega 6. Even with the significant increase in clockspeed, I doubt it can keep up with the difference of 5 CUs.

One thing I expect is prices to come down a notch. Like 16C/32T costing near to $500 if not reaching sub $500 mark. 12C/13T be sub $400 offering and 8C/16T be price below $300 mark. Now asking for 24C/48T or 32C/64T on mainstream lineup is meaningless. I don't think AMD will going up the core count at-least for this generation.

alextheblue

Distinguished
I can't help but be curious as to how well these overclock, and also how they perform at the same clock vs chiplet Ryzen.
I am actually looking forward to AMD reducing the price of the current Ryzen 5 3400G with the release of desktop versions of Renoir. While the CPU is slower using the Zen+ chips, the Vega 11 is still quite formidable vs the 4c/8t Renoir Vega 6. Even with the significant increase in clockspeed, I doubt it can keep up with the difference of 5 CUs.
If GPU performance is remotely important, I can't help but think you'd be vastly better served spending a little more on a cheap dGPU and a cheap CPU combo. Unless you're set on a form factor that's really tiny and doesn't even support one turned 90 degrees... at which point you might want to consider a GE model.

That being said, the GPU in 4000 is faster clock for clock, so the final difference in performance probably isn't quite as large as you think. I'd bet the hexacore models with 7CU clocked at 1900 would match it - price obviously will be a deciding factor.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I can't help but be curious as to how well these overclock, and also how they perform at the same clock vs chiplet Ryzen.
If GPU performance is remotely important, I can't help but think you'd be vastly better served spending a little more on a cheap dGPU and a cheap CPU combo. Unless you're set on a form factor that's really tiny and doesn't even support one turned 90 degrees... at which point you might want to consider a GE model.

That being said, the GPU in 4000 is faster clock for clock, so the final difference in performance probably isn't quite as large as you think. I'd bet the hexacore models with 7CU clocked at 1900 would match it - price obviously will be a deciding factor.

Rumored that clockspeed for GPU is up to 2.1Ghz.

As for the reason for going for a fast iGPU is because the ITX (InWin Chopin) case I use does not allow for a dedicated graphic card. I actually have a spare GTX 950M, which unfortunately can't be used in this case. I would like to keep it that way since the rig is going to be for home entertainment, and perhaps some light games.

Personally, I feel the 8 core Renoir on a desktop is kind of an odd product to me. My impression is that people buy an APU if they don't need a powerful rig/ or on a budget (without having to buy a graphic card). Now if the price of the 8 core part is close to that of the existing 3700X, I don't think it will fit any of the 2 deciding factors mentioned. If I am on a budget, I end up with a 4 core chip with a Vega 6 doesn't sound that attractive. Granted that the CPU is more powerful, and the GPU is pretty much going to be on par or slower since its lost 20% and 80% of CUs, as compared to the Vega 8 and Vega 11 respectively, on the older Ryzen APU.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Personally, I feel the 8 core Renoir on a desktop is kind of an odd product to me. My impression is that people buy an APU if they don't need a powerful rig/ or on a budget (without having to buy a graphic card). Now if the price of the 8 core part is close to that of the existing 3700X, I don't think it will fit any of the 2 deciding factors mentioned. If I am on a budget, I end up with a 4 core chip with a Vega 6 doesn't sound that attractive. Granted that the CPU is more powerful, and the GPU is pretty much going to be on par or slower since its lost 20% and 80% of CUs, as compared to the Vega 8 and Vega 11 respectively, on the older Ryzen APU.
It does still feel odd, but remember, budget CPUs now have 4 cores and performance on par with i7s from just a few years ago. 6-8 cores is rapidly becoming mainstream, and now if you want an IGP and 6+ cores you have options from AMD. Anyway, if you can swing it, I think you might want to get the hexacore and pair it with a B550 for future upgrades (unless you already have a board).

Anyway yeah, that's a fairly snug case: CPU die surface to side panel height: 43mm Maximum

Yeah not a lot of space there. Maybe wait and see how the GE models perform. :p

TRENDING THREADS