Question AMD Ryzen 4750U, very high temps

Riccardo_1

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I have an HP Elite Book with an 8-cores AMD Ryzen 4750u.

I am running 4 parallels computation using Mathematica and requiring about 12 hours to complete. Monitoring the CPU, I see that the 4 most used cores are running at about 3.4Ghz; the other 4 cores averages at about 1.5Ghz . The fans are running at or close to full speed.

The tempeature remains constant at 100°C and HWInfo does not detect any thermal throttling. Note also that, to a certain extent, the amount of parallel computing does not impact temperatures but simply decreaes clock speed: when running 6 parallel computations, the temperature remains at 100°C while 6 cores runs at about 3.1-3.2Ghz and the other two at about 1.2Ghz.

I am a bit worried about keeping the temperature at 100° for such a long period.

The only effective thing I come out to reduce temperature is disabling the turbo boost of the CPU. Now the temperature stays at about 60° with the fan idling at slow speed, the cores are running at 1.7Ghz and the TDP for the CPU drops at about 6.7W (it was about 22W before for the CPU only). However I am also loosing half of my computation power.

Would it be possible to have something in between: say keeping the temperature not higher than 80° with the fan running at full speed? I guess this target should yield me about 2.7Ghz. How can I do that? Or, shouldn't I worry about keeping a temperature of 100°C for long periods?

Lutfij

Titan
HP have a number of EliteBook's under their portfolio, can you mention the SKU for your particular EliteBook? Might want to also take note of your BIOS version as well as the OS version(not edition). You can use ThrottleStop and see if the processor is throttling. As for the temps, the processors thermal limit is at 105 Deg C.