[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 1600 question

Solution
Hello, everyone!

So I have a ryzen 5 1600 CPU and I just downloaded amd Ryzen Master to check it out and noticed one stat that was colored red or orange (so I figured something's wrong :D)

Here's the pic: View: https://imgur.com/Hc9ZGNq

Can anyone explain to me what does that mean and how can I fix it?
EDC is the "Electric Design Current", or the current delivered by the VRM in peak/spike loads. It's an artificial limit established mainly to protect weaker VRM's on motherboards as when the CPU boosts. I'd not worry about it unless you're overclocking. When it gets to that limit it will merely limit it's boosting. When properly set up it's actually desireable to approach and even hit the limit...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Updating windows won't hurt but the power plans are more reliant on chipset drivers so you could update those on your motherboard.

I don't know if it would change what EDC is showing, that is something to do with how much usage CPU is getting.

Gergalro

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
OK, so I just restored default settings on the power plan and now it is fixed while the pc is not under load, but I just ran csgo and one tab of chrome and it was in the red zone again. I feel like it shouldn't be struggling with such a small load or should it? :/ My motherboard is B450M

Hello, everyone!

So I have a ryzen 5 1600 CPU and I just downloaded amd Ryzen Master to check it out and noticed one stat that was colored red or orange (so I figured something's wrong :D)

Here's the pic: View: https://imgur.com/Hc9ZGNq

Can anyone explain to me what does that mean and how can I fix it?
EDC is the "Electric Design Current", or the current delivered by the VRM in peak/spike loads. It's an artificial limit established mainly to protect weaker VRM's on motherboards as when the CPU boosts. I'd not worry about it unless you're overclocking. When it gets to that limit it will merely limit it's boosting. When properly set up it's actually desireable to approach and even hit the limit as that would indicate it's fully utilizing the CPU.

Which B450m motherboard, precisely? There are several and many are perfectly capable of handling even 16 core CPU's so your 6 core CPU should be very little problem.

Understand that Ryzen CPU's boost to max clocks in light, bursty loads and it's the boosts that push to the EDC limit and turn the gauge orange or even red. Having a few tabs open and many games are light bursty type loads and make the processor boost that way so what's happening sounds normal.

Last edited:
Solution

Gergalro

Prominent
Oct 23, 2019
EDC is the "Electric Design Current", or the current delivered by the VRM in peak/spike loads. It's an artificial limit established mainly to protect weaker VRM's on motherboards as when the CPU boosts. I'd not worry about it unless you're overclocking. When it gets to that limit it will merely limit it's boosting. When properly set up it's actually desireable to approach and even hit the limit as that would indicate it's fully utilizing the CPU.

Which B450m motherboard, precisely? There are several and many are perfectly capable of handling even 16 core CPU's so your 6 core CPU should be very little problem.

Understand that Ryzen CPU's boost to max clocks in light, bursty loads and it's the boosts that push to the EDC limit and turn the gauge orange or even red. Having a few tabs open and many games are light bursty type loads and make the processor boost that way so what's happening sounds normal.
Hmm, I see. Cheers for the informative answer!