AMD Ryzen 5 2400G vs Ryzen 5 2600 + GT 1030 system for a 4k monitor

Jul 13, 2018
Hey everyone,

I am currently building a mini ITX system that will be hooked to a Dell 27" 4k monitor (U2718Q). I will be using it as my work computer, meaning front-end and design work (Photoshop, Illustrator) plus some light video editing in Adobe Premier Pro.

I want the system to be as efficient and silent as possible, but also capable to easily handle any tasks.

I do not game, so I don't need a high-end GPU.

My question is this: will a Ryzen 5 2400G be enough to easily drive the 4k monitor at 60hz, hooked via the motherboard's DisplayPort (the mobo being the MSI B350I PRO AC)? The alternative (a lot more expensive) would be a Ryzen 5 2600 and a passively cooled, efficient and with a low power consumption graphic card like the GT 1030. This is actually the only one I can get with a passive cooling system.

I would of course prefer to spend less on the 2400G solution, but if there will be major compromises I will go for the second option.

Thank you

Solution
Both options could drive a 4K 60Hz display, but will depend on the workloads of course.

Given what you've described, I'd be inclined to suggest the 2400G

You're comparing a 4c/8t 2400G with a 6c/12t 2600 (or 1600 for that matter).

Given the conclusion/info here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/#Conclusion

I'd look towards the 2400G...... really not seeing much benefit of the additional cores/threads of the 2600....

Note though, you'll probably need a BIOS update on a B350 motherboard.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they are pretty much the same thing. the onboard graphics of the 2400g is roughly the same as the 1030. and the cpu of both is the same as well. couple extra cores from 2600 not really gonna help you with your work. as for running the 4k monitor, no problem there either. the 60 hz concept is mainly a concern when gaming, but just doing desktop work, it won't be a problem at all.

so the cheaper and smaller option of the 2400g is the way to go without a doubt.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Both options could drive a 4K 60Hz display, but will depend on the workloads of course.

Given what you've described, I'd be inclined to suggest the 2400G

You're comparing a 4c/8t 2400G with a 6c/12t 2600 (or 1600 for that matter).

Given the conclusion/info here:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Adobe-Photoshop-CC-Multi-Core-Performance-625/#Conclusion

I'd look towards the 2400G...... really not seeing much benefit of the additional cores/threads of the 2600....

Note though, you'll probably need a BIOS update on a B350 motherboard.

Solution
Per MSI's spec sheet for your board (found here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B350I-PRO-AC/Specification), this is what shows:

1 x DisplayPort 1.2 port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@60Hz (1)
1 x HDMI™1.4 port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@24Hz (1)

(1) Only support when using a 7th Gen A-series/ Athlon™ processor.

Given that, you should be fine.

Jul 13, 2018
Thank you, everyone, for your help.
As it was the case with the GT 1030, I am also forced to use this particular MSI board as it's the only mITX I can get with a DisplayPort, AM4 slot and NVMe (I live in Romania and the options are poor for what I need). I hope it won't be needing a BIOS update if I go with the 2400G, I was under the impression that it will be needed only in the case of the second gen Ryzen CPUs like the 2600.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unfortunately, the Displayport on an ITX board won't do you any good if it needs a BIOS update.

B350 boards launch with 1st Gen Ryzen.... then the APUs followed..... then 2nd Gen.
So those boards (potentially) were manufactured long before the APUs were even a consideration.

The only guarantee you'll have of support is via X470 right now (and the upcoming B450 etc)

You may need to reconsider the motherboard and/or form-factor if you just want something guaranteed to "work" out of the box.....

Alternatively, a Ryzen5 1400 + GT 1030 would be an option, and give you comparable performance without the potential BIOS hassle?

Failing that, you'll need either a local store to update the BIOS for you OR, contact AMD who will provide a loaner "boot kit"
https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/2Gen-Ryzen-AM4-System-Bootup.aspx

The only thing you can do is to check the box for the BIOS revision (if it's present) to see if it's compatible without an update. Newer B350 boards are likely to be shipping with the updated BIOS so that you can drop in and go; however, if not, you're going to need a boot kit to do the update. Alternatively, as Barty mentioned, you could go with an X470 board (or wait for the B450s as they're coming soon) and a discrete GPU.

Jul 13, 2018
Thanks, that's good to know. I actually considered the APU's as first gen Ryzen, but apparently, I was wrong. The form factor must be ITX, so I guess I will try to source a different board on Amazon or ebay. So I should go for one based on the X470 chipset.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
X470 will guarantee you compatibility out of the box - but mITX options are limited, and it'll raise the cost.

B450 (and the A boards too, I think) should be launched really soon - some are listed for pre-orders already in various e-tailers, but a definitive timeline isn't known.

If you could afford to wait a couple of weeks, I think you'll have better/cheaper options in B450.... but if you simply NEED something now, X470 is the only chipset that'll guarantee you compatibility out of the box.

Jul 13, 2018
I think I'll wait unless I find something reasonably priced based on B350 guaranteed to work out of the box, meaning that it will come with an updated BIOS. You are right, X470 boards are really pricey.

Thank you again for all your help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
They're pricey, relatively speaking regardless. One of X470's main selling features (not the only one) is multi-GPU support too, so putting it in the mITX form-factor didn't happen too much. So the few boards of the mITX/X470 variety that do exist, are quite pricey as they're more "niche"

B450 or B350 confirmed to have the latest BIOS installed (not usually clear in most online ads) would be the way to go.