Question AMD Ryzen 5 2500U Stuck at 1.58 ghz

Jan 23, 2022
I did not know whether to write this thread in the cpu or laptop section, so I wrote here. My AMD Ryzen 5 2500U freezes at 1.58 GHz when gaming. Temperatures usually do not exceed 80C. The maximum temperature of the processor is 95c. when playing valorant, the processor slows down to 1.58 ghz after a short time, but after clicking alt tab and exiting the game window, the processor speeds up again. I tried all the solutions - I changed the power plan to efficient, I turned off the quick start, checked if the turbo boost was on, but it was for nothing. In bios, I can not do anything because it is blocked (InsydeH20 rev 5.0) I tried to uninstall updates because they often reduce performance but to no avail. Any ideas? I will add that throttlestop does not support this processor. (Ryzen master same). Thanks for the help.

greetings

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I use a 2500U system based in a Dell laptop. It is absolutely ridiculous as to poor thermal design. Even with mild work loads it will easily reach the 90's and start to throttle. I have not been able to get it to play nice with any game beyond things like Warhammer (early versions) or Grim Dawn, which even at that had to run lowest 720 settings. It will simply crash out of Civ and things such as that. Heck, the Solitare game built into Windows puts it to task.

Consider that this is a budget focused CPU designed for web and media consumption, not really a gamer.

Side note, would consider putting it back to either high performance or balanced mode, and not the "Ryzen balanced'. The most efficient power plan cuts performance a good bit in lieu of battery life.

Jan 23, 2022
I tried to change the power plan but to no avail. More I thought it was the fault of energy efficiency. temperatures do not exceed 85c and 95c. Recently it was normal and I was getting 100+ fps and now only 60 because the processor is blocking. It is a lenovo laptop. But yes, sometimes the processor can suddenly increase its temperature and then lower it again .. And the clock lowers even at low temperatures. I could try undervolting but I don't know how I can do undervoltage on a processor that hardly any software supports. All in all, I can only change the% CPU usage. Unless I don't know about something.

I did not know whether to write this thread in the cpu or laptop section, so I wrote here. My AMD Ryzen 5 2500U freezes at 1.58 GHz when gaming. Temperatures usually do not exceed 80C. The maximum temperature of the processor is 95c. when playing valorant, the processor slows down to 1.58 ghz after a short time, but after clicking alt tab and exiting the game window, the processor speeds up again. I tried all the solutions - I changed the power plan to efficient, I turned off the quick start, checked if the turbo boost was on, but it was for nothing. In bios, I can not do anything because it is blocked (InsydeH20 rev 5.0) I tried to uninstall updates because they often reduce performance but to no avail. Any ideas? I will add that throttlestop does not support this processor. (Ryzen master same). Thanks for the help.

greetings
What laptop do you have, I assume your using the Vega GPU for gaming as well? If so I'm not surprised it's running at such a low frequency. Running below the base clock for original Ryzen's under heavy load wasn't uncommon, it's why I opted for the Intel version of my laptop instead.

Jan 23, 2022
I'm using a lenovo ideapad 330-15arr designed radeon 500 series graphics card. Vega, on the other hand, is connected to the screen. Well, ryzen actually drops the timing too much. I noticed instability. I thought that intel core has unstable fps but I was wrong.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your temps do seem a bit high. Notebookcheck tested this laptop, it did drop below base clock in the stress test but not in Cinebench:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...with-disappointing-battery-life.425017.0.html

A cooling pad might help you if you don't already have one. Has it always hit 95C in valorant?

I would comment that the Dell "broken lid" laptop that I salvaged has this CPU and will commonly hit high 80 just converting a jpeg to pdf. It bounces back and forth off max temp/throttle while playing something like Warhammer Soulstorm which is an old and not demanding title. I find surprise that it would even run Valorant.

I would comment that the Dell "broken lid" laptop that I salvaged has this CPU and will commonly hit high 80 just converting a jpeg to pdf. It bounces back and forth off max temp/throttle while playing something like Warhammer Soulstorm which is an old and not demanding title. I find surprise that it would even run Valorant.
Laptop CPU's running at those temperatures doesn't surprise me too much. It's just in the review for this particular machine it hit a max of 77C during a stress test.

Jan 23, 2022
Your temps do seem a bit high. Notebookcheck tested this laptop, it did drop below base clock in the stress test but not in Cinebench:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenov...with-disappointing-battery-life.425017.0.html

A cooling pad might help you if you don't already have one. Has it always hit 95C in valorant?
Temperatures do not exceed 95c. As of this writing, the processor is around 40c. I thought my laptop temperatures were normal. After all, it's not a computer. Recently, I noticed that the processor can suddenly jump by 3-5C, just like in punkcat, then the fans turn on and the temperature drops again. When it drops down, the fans turn off and the temperature jumps again. I thought about the cooling pad, but I don't know if it's too much noise.

Jan 23, 2022
It is able to turn on a valorant and at low it reaches even 150 fps in training without people. Of course when the clock dropped, the fps also dropped

Temperatures do not exceed 95c. As of this writing, the processor is around 40c. I thought my laptop temperatures were normal. After all, it's not a computer. Recently, I noticed that the processor can suddenly jump by 3-5C, just like in punkcat, then the fans turn on and the temperature drops again. When it drops down, the fans turn off and the temperature jumps again. I thought about the cooling pad, but I don't know if it's too much noise.
CPU's will jump up and down in temperature very rapidly, that's normal for modern CPU's. In terms of the cooling pad, it depends on which one you buy, don't buy an unbranded one because they can be extremely poor quality and quite noisy. I'm not sure how much difference it would make to the temperatures in your case, and what impact it would have on the CPU's boost behaviour.

I always use a cooling pad with my laptop though for heavy loads, I have a Lenovo 720S 14". For me a cooling pad dropped the temps by 20C, but mine sits very low to the desk so hot air tends to collect underneath it. On other laptops though I've found it barely make any difference at all. My laptop is also metal which perhaps helps. If your laptop is raised in each corner so there is a significant gap between it and the desk, then a cooling pad might not improve much beyond that.

If I were to recommend a cooling pad though, then I'd go with something like this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Mas...locphy=9046212&hvtargid=pla-564227132288&th=1

Review:
https://www.laptopmag.com/uk/reviews/accessories/cooler-master-notepal-x3

Reactions: RodroX
Sadly many people buying notebooks pay attention to the CPU, GPU, RAM and Storage, but usually don't pay too much attention to the cooling system.

And its hard to know how it will perform without trying it.

Budget notebooks, and even some expensive ones have really horrible/low-end cooling systems. Its something that its becoming a litte bit better in newer models but still not as good as it should.

Theres no much more to do other than repaste the CPU/GPU (if it have a discrete one) and cleaning the heatsink. The Cooling pad may help a little bit but it wont do miracles in some cases.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Jan 23, 2022
So the temperatures are too high? I thought it was the fault of energy efficiency. Now playing valorant the CPU unlocked again but then locked up again. Even at the same temperatures. Then I took a short break, the processor rested and when I wanted to play again I didn't want to increase the timing. Only increased them when the game window was minimized. Should I do undervolting or buy a cooling pad and clean the fans? And whether the rim can help at all in my case. The laptop has an air outlet mainly underneath and next to the screen hinges. I will add that the laptop is not completely laid down so it has air flow.

So the temperatures are too high? I thought it was the fault of energy efficiency. Now playing valorant the CPU unlocked again but then locked up again. Even at the same temperatures. Then I took a short break, the processor rested and when I wanted to play again I didn't want to increase the timing. Only increased them when the game window was minimized. Should I do undervolting or buy a cooling pad and clean the fans? And whether the rim can help at all in my case. The laptop has an air outlet mainly underneath and next to the screen hinges. I will add that the laptop is not completely laid down so it has air flow.

Clean the fans and colling pad are good suggestions.