Question AMD Ryzen 5 2600 or i5 9400F

Jul 29, 2018
Hello guys,

I have been a Intel guy for my entire life. I was planning to buy a new GTX 1660ti build.

As far as I what I could find, AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and i5 9400F are the two cpu that fits inside my budget. So, I wanted know which one should I really go for. Also, be my guest if you guys wanna suggest a better cpu that I can go for.

What I also wanted to know is should I go for a third party cpu cooler if I pick any one of the above cpu.

Thanks
Vimal

Jul 29, 2018
Depends on what games. Conventional received knowledge is Intel holds the advantage for pure gaming usage. You may find Techspot's benchmarks provide a bit more info to help your decision: https://www.techspot.com/review/1829-intel-core-i5-9400f-vs-amd-ryzen-5-2600x/
Overall I would say the i5-9400f has a slight gaming advantage.

Have you also factored in the motherboard costs for this decision?
Thank you friend,

The PC build that I am going to buy is for gaming and daily task only. I am not getting it for any content creation or editing purpose as such. So, I will take it as 9400F is going to be a good buy for me.
No I have not short-listed any motherboard for this build yet. As, I have decided to go for the gtx 1660ti graphics card for this build, can I also get some suggestions for getting a decent motherboard with some future proof?

- Vimal

Depends on how far forward you want to consider for future proofing. If Intel stick with their usual two CPU generations to a platform then there may be another one. The Z-series chipset motherboards would provide overclocking potential with an appropriate CPU (the ones with a 'k' suffix). If comfortable with overclocking you could then get a bit more performance out of the newer overclockable CPU.

With motherboards I've only really used Asus and ASRock, so can't much in the way of guidance there.

Reactions: wilsonvimal7