AMD Ryzen 5 2600 temperature spikes?

sanijspetersons

Prominent
Apr 26, 2018
I have a Ryzen 5 2600, I started to pay attention to the temperatures and stuff on the CPU. It randomly spikes up to 60c or 70c on idle, even in gaming I have noticed that my FPS drops a lot, (CSGO) It spiked to 83c and drops down to 75c and stays there for a while. I never had this issue, it used to be 35-40c Idle and when playing CSGO it was 55-60c, I have a feeling it might be the cooler, because I think it has been applied without even pressure, in that case, is it safe to remove the cooler without replacing the thermal compound?
Thanks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are you using to monitor? RyzenMaster would be the preferred tool for a Ryzen chip.

Those idle temps are pretty high - and peaks are fairly warm too, for stock operation & gaming anyway.

Using the stock cooler?

No, if you remove the cooler, you should clean & replace the thermal paste.

sanijspetersons

Prominent
Apr 26, 2018

Hi, sorry for the late reply, I use the Ryzen Master now, I used to use HWMonitor for temperatures etc. What thermal paste would you reccommend to use to keep the cpu cooler? And any suggestions for a new cooler? Thanks!

sanijspetersons

Prominent
Apr 26, 2018

I have a really air restrictive case, the MasterBox Lite 5 RGB. But I always make a gap for the case to be able to breathe, I tested some games with and without the front panel, and there was a difference with it off, I usually get rid of the dust, but need filters to prevent more dust from getting in. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVcTjesJtPU) < linked that to show how bad it is with the front panel on.
I prefer air cooling as it's something I'm more familiar with.

TRENDING THREADS