Question AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Thermal Issues

Sep 4, 2019
I have an R5 2600 at stock clock speeds in my current build, and I'm having some issues with its temperatures under load.

Idle, it sits at around 45 C, but under load in-game, I've seen it get up to 91 C. That's just when I started monitoring it, I'm quite sure it's gotten higher than that since I've recently had a couple of PC lockups (to where I have to force shut down the PC). It has the stock Wraith Stealth cooler that comes with the CPU itself.

My question is whether I should invest in a new CPU cooler, a new fan setup for my case, or just a new CPU entirely (looking at a 3600).

The reason I think it could be the CPU cooler is that my GPU (Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce, triple fan) never goes above 65-70 C under load.

Current case is a Corsair 100R with (you're going to hate me for this) only one exhaust fan out the back. I haven't had much issue with thermals in the past, it seems like it may be connected to the fact that I just upgraded my GPU to the 2070.

So, new CPU cooler or more case fans? There's two vents on the top of the 100R that could have fans, and I know the front panel can be removed for more intake fans (although I'd also really appreciate some help identifying the correct size fans I'd need)

Thanks!

rexop5

Reputable
Dec 6, 2018
I have an R5 2600 at stock clock speeds in my current build, and I'm having some issues with its temperatures under load.

Idle, it sits at around 45 C, but under load in-game, I've seen it get up to 91 C. That's just when I started monitoring it, I'm quite sure it's gotten higher than that since I've recently had a couple of PC lockups (to where I have to force shut down the PC). It has the stock Wraith Stealth cooler that comes with the CPU itself.

My question is whether I should invest in a new CPU cooler, a new fan setup for my case, or just a new CPU entirely (looking at a 3600).

The reason I think it could be the CPU cooler is that my GPU (Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce, triple fan) never goes above 65-70 C under load.

Current case is a Corsair 100R with (you're going to hate me for this) only one exhaust fan out the back. I haven't had much issue with thermals in the past, it seems like it may be connected to the fact that I just upgraded my GPU to the 2070.

So, new CPU cooler or more case fans? There's two vents on the top of the 100R that could have fans, and I know the front panel can be removed for more intake fans (although I'd also really appreciate some help identifying the correct size fans I'd need)

Thanks!

with what program are u checking temperatures may I ask? speccy looks incorrect temperatures on ryzens

Thanks!

The first thing you should replace is the case. That thing is made for silent running, low power setups, like you'd find in an office. The reason your CPU is getting so insanely hot is because it's being completely starved for fresh, cool air, and is instead being forced to breath the hot air being thrown out by your GPU. It won't matter what CPU cooler you stick on that thing, if it doesn't have cool air to breath, it's gonna overheat.

Sep 4, 2019
The first thing you should replace is the case. That thing is made for silent running, low power setups, like you'd find in an office. The reason your CPU is getting so insanely hot is because it's being completely starved for fresh, cool air, and is instead being forced to breath the hot air being thrown out by your GPU. It won't matter what CPU cooler you stick on that thing, if it doesn't have cool air to breath, it's gonna overheat.
Even with 2-3 intake fans on the front, 2 exhaust on the top, and another exhaust on the back? I'm fine with sacrificing sound for thermal performance, and I don't see much difference between the amount & placement of fans between this case and other popular cases

Right, that's my idea; take off the front and stick some fans there. Just not sure what size/type fans to get

I believe you can fit a maximum of two 120mm fans in the front, but you'd have to one of them on the outside of the case, and I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that. There's also the problem that even if you do mount another fan there, it is at the bottom of the case, and won't be helping with that overheating CPU. All it'll do is blow air over any HDD's or SSD's you have mounted in the drive cage, and then the airflow will hit the GPU.

TRENDING THREADS