AMD Ryzen 5 2600X & GTX 1070, 1080p or 1440p monitor?

Melon_seed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Hi,

As the title said, which resolution should I choose for my new monitor?

Currently I'm using a Samsung SyncMaster 2243 and it starting to have problems. Thus I'm looking for a new monitor to replace it.

Half of the time I'm using my computer for gaming and the rest for surfing internet and other stuff.
The games that I play are mostly old games and FPS games.

These are the games that I played:
CS GO
PUBG
unreal tournament GOTD
Far Cry 2
Left for dead 2
Chivalry: medieval warfare
Sim City 4
Company of heroes and company of heroes 2
rise of nations
GTA V
Battlefield 1

And These are my PC's specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (not overclocking just yet)
Asus ROG Strix 1070 8G gaming
Asus ROG Strix B450F
G-Skill FlareX 3200
Scythe Mugen 5 Rev B
EVGA G1+ 800w

I did a bit of research and I listed down 2 monitors:

AOC G2460PG and Dell S2417DG. So my questions are if I choose the Dell S2417DG will my computer can handle its 1440p resolution, or get the AOC instead?

Note: other than that, I also consider Benq XL2536 or XL2430T despite no GSync but have better build quality which I kind of like and the price is a bit cheaper than both AOC and Dell.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Personally I'd go the other way and stick with 1080P but you do have enough GPU to go 1440P if you want to.

I have a few reasons and they are largely personal preference:
I think at 24" 1440P can result in some text and game UI elements being a bit small
1080P looks good at that size and will not stress your GPU out at all so you can always max everything
once you launch into a fullscreen game I don't honestly see all that much difference.

I game at either 1920 x 1080 on a 27" or 2560 x 1080 on a 32" ultrawide. People tell me that's too low a resolution for that screen size but it looks just fine to me and I like being able to max out the quality settings with my 1070.

all that said my next monitor will likely be higher resolution -...
To me, I will opt for 1440p 75/144, since your cpu can not to 144 fps anyway, you can always dial down settings to make 60-100 fps in 1440p given that cpu does not limit you. to me, those non-fps games look better in 1440p. Budget and country? Kind of a waste to add extra cooler and that expensive motherboard if you don't overclock...

I would also opt for the 1440p over the 1080p as your hardware can handle 1440p gaming and will look better. Keep in mind with the Ryzen R5 2600X you don't have to overclock, that is the reason to buy the "X" versions. I would keep the better cooler as Precision Boost Overdrive will automatically scale or "overclock" your processor depending on power supply and overall cooling. The Ryzen processors are "smart" and do very well overclocking themselves. My Ryzen 7 2700X is "at stock" yet in Ryzen Master (use only to view temp and processor scaling do any actual tweaking in bios) my core clock single thread goes up to 4.3- 4.5Ghz and my all core is at 4.175 - 4.2Ghz while running applications. My Cinebench R15 scores are between 1896 and 1920 was my highest score. The only thing I "overclocked" is my RAM which I settled at 3600Mhz. These processors do a very good job overclocking themselves, just make sure you set your RAM to speed (or even overclock it a bit), I set a negative offset on my Vcore as on Auto it was scaling too high, and turn Precision Boost Overdrive on. I think that is basically all I had to do and I'm getting great performance without the need to manually overclock.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Personally I'd go the other way and stick with 1080P but you do have enough GPU to go 1440P if you want to.

I have a few reasons and they are largely personal preference:
I think at 24" 1440P can result in some text and game UI elements being a bit small
1080P looks good at that size and will not stress your GPU out at all so you can always max everything
once you launch into a fullscreen game I don't honestly see all that much difference.

I game at either 1920 x 1080 on a 27" or 2560 x 1080 on a 32" ultrawide. People tell me that's too low a resolution for that screen size but it looks just fine to me and I like being able to max out the quality settings with my 1070.

all that said my next monitor will likely be higher resolution - just because I can

Solution

I'm actually going to be making the move to 4K soon. Or at least near 4K... I have a 43" 4K television that isn't being used anymore but my current GPU isn't up to the task. All my other system components are more than up for 4K gaming, but I have to get a better GPU. I''m looking at 1070Ti as I think its enough performance (especially overclocked) and hopefully the price will fall on it soon. I think AMD may have something with 7nm GPUs coming out soon and hopefully they are competitive enough for the existing 1070Tis to drop in price. 1080s are almost out of stock and the price has skyrocketed so the 1070Ti is what I'm hoping will have a major price drop soon.

Melon_seed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014

Hi guys, thanks for the replies.

So does this mean that 1440p would look better on a 27" and above?

Honestly I prefer 1080p over 1440p because I can play games at max settings. Furthermore, I sat at less than 2ft from the monitor plus size constraint on my workstation so it makes more sense to use 24" monitors. When you said that the GPU has enough power I take that as while it got the power it may have to work hard for it. I may need a 1080 to run 1440p resolution comfortably.

Thus, I stick with 1080p.

Now I am trying to decide whether I should get the AOC G2460PG or Benq XL2536?
The AOC seems to be a logical choice given I am using Nvidia card so I can use Gsync but I never had an AOC monitor before so I am not sure how it will hold up and it seems to have too much variables from one unit to another which worries me. Same goes to the Benq. I did play around with an XL2546 at the local computer shop and it seems to be decent plus from what I read these Benq XL apart from 2411 seems to have better build quality.

The pricing for AOC G2460PG here in Malaysia is around 388 USD from a local computer store online and the Benq XL2536 priced about 361 USD from official Benq Malaysia store online.

Melon_seed

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
Oh great, I was just about pulling the trigger and buy the AOC G2460PG and now I read in reddit that this monitor has versions. Version 10A is the one reviewed the most and the best. Then there's 10B which is inferior and 10C which is somewhat decent but not as good as 10A. Visual difference between 10A and 10B+10C is the 10A have the crosshair icon on the bezel and 10B & 10C doesn't. Bad news is that the pictures shown on the online store are without crosshair icon. I may have to look elsewhere or get other monitor.

TRENDING THREADS