[SOLVED] Amd Ryzen 5 2600x help understanding performance issues.

Hi
I just upgraded my system from a Fx-8350.
My current specs are:
Ryzen 5 2600x
Asus rog strix f gaming mobo
G.Skill Flare x 3200 16gb 2x8
Corsair H110i AIO
Zotac gtx 1070 ti amp
Samsung m.2 970 250gb win 10 os
Samsung 860 evo 250gb
2x pny 120gb
Seagate 3tb 7200rpm hdd
Corsair cs or cx 650w semi modular psu
In a Thermaltake F31 Suppressor case.
Now with the formalities out of the way.
I set windows power plan to high performance.
?1) is that setting over riding
Helping or hurting Ryzen Precision Boost.
With those settings I'm seeing in Ryzen master and hwinfo64 that @ idle core clks @4.250ghz but starting cn bench r15 clks go down to 4.016ghz is this normal for ryzen compared to fx cpu's that would turbo up not down.

?2) when trying to manually oc
in bios are there any other settings that needs to be disabled or turned off like when ocing a fx cpu.
I tried level 3oc but reset to default and reset ram because ryzen master was showing the Edc in red something 80-85% of something?.
I have tried finding ryzen oc guides but all videos that i have watched and the 1's i have read don't mention any other settings to disable.

Temps seem fine even though most utilities are reading higher which most are working on to update for 2nd gen ryzen cpu's
Occt and aida64 are very close to ryzen master. Atleast for me.

So far precision boost on
Ram set @3266 i get a cnb score ranging from 1350 to 1394.
3dmark firestrike 17128
Userbench
Ufo across all 3 categories
Ryzen 2600x Avrg user score 92% mine 94.8
Ram avrg user 103%mine 115.
So what I'm seeing i like but just needing some help with settings, fine tuning or good oc basic guidelines.
Thank you for reading and maybe you help.

Solution
Hi Jossrik
I was able to change some setting and rebench on varies benchmarks.
I found high performce the best with the min set at 5-10 %
In the windows high performance power plan.
That also took away the high readings in the EDC values.
From what i can tell pbo and or xfr2 is working.
Doing 3dmark firestrike benches
I was seeing the core frequency range from 4.2g to what i thought was somebody else's turbo frequency at 4.683gh.
I reran several of that same test and concluded that pbo or xfr is kicking up the core frequency as it see fit.
The 2nd highest core clock 4.599ghz.
But now has stayed in the range of 4.2 to 4.25.
When the test were being done i had my h110i set to performance on the pump speed and the noctua fans set to...
With the Ryzen chips you see decent differences from overclocking the RAM (which you've all ready done, from 2133/2400). The XFR Does a good job overclocking the chip by itself, and there are a bunch of factors that come into play when your chip overclocks itself, boosts itself. Temperature and voltage are two of them, but you can probably get around the same performance *undervolting* your chip. When it boosts, it can boost higher voltages than it strictly needs. That'll make it run cooler, which in turn will make it run faster. When you overclock the chip, you're overclocking all the cores at once to run at a rated speed. Not sure on the 2600X, but I know the 2700X, 1800X, and 1700X all had a higher reported temperature than actual temp, you should check around to see what programs where will tell you the correct temp.

Thanks for responding.
I have seen it in vids and reading on different sites about the undervolting.
But as soon as you change to manual it disables pb and xfr but at that time is there anything else that needs to be disabled or turned off like in fx series as far as c1e cool&quite things like that or does the manual setting take care of it all?

Ya i understand the ddr
Just trying to figure out now if my 3200 is only the 2400 you mentioned LOL.
From a vid i watched at launch time of that mobo it was supposedly better then the crosshairs but bios update wasn't out yet for them.
Most reviews put it mid range best all around board.

So what power plan do you have set in win 10?
I was reading that windows high performance mess's with the precision boost.

I have mine set on balanced, but when I bench I change it to performance. ALL DDR4 RAM is 2133/2400. The *Rated* speed is technically overclocking it. Not that big of a deal on most kits, but on the high end kits, some of them are only tested with once motherboard for rated speeds and possibly won't achieve those speeds on other motherboards or with different CPUs.

So far everything looks fine, the biggest measure though is, are you happy with it? You can chase benchies all day, but when the sun goes down is that 2 or 3 percent really that bothersome in day to day driving? Also, the silicon lottery is pretty fierce and there are a lot of things that go into bench marks.

Thank you again you make very valid points.
Yes i thinkk it kicks the 8350 to the curb.
My son got my 8350 @4.5g
G.skill 1866 trident x running set to 2133
And a zotac gtx 1060 6gb.
His 8350 on a asrock 970 mobo was acting real weird would give bsod i put diferent ram in it didn't cure it.
So looked like mobo to me, but try to find a new 990fx mobo these days.
With the prices even for a used mobo such as my old gigabyte 990fx ud3 at 168+shipping nope time to upgrade and hand down.
Heck mom even got a gtx 960 4gb out of it.
I will leave this open for awhile to see if the are any more comments on the ECD issue.
Again Thank You for you time and knowledge.

I found this now to see what setting or settings caused the high reading and maybe put my fan back on the vrms.

Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The EDC% indicates distance to maximum current that can be delivered by the motherboard voltage regulators in a peak/transient condition. 100% indicates maximum capacity.

Hi Jossrik
I was able to change some setting and rebench on varies benchmarks.
I found high performce the best with the min set at 5-10 %
In the windows high performance power plan.
That also took away the high readings in the EDC values.
From what i can tell pbo and or xfr2 is working.
Doing 3dmark firestrike benches
I was seeing the core frequency range from 4.2g to what i thought was somebody else's turbo frequency at 4.683gh.
I reran several of that same test and concluded that pbo or xfr is kicking up the core frequency as it see fit.
The 2nd highest core clock 4.599ghz.
But now has stayed in the range of 4.2 to 4.25.
When the test were being done i had my h110i set to performance on the pump speed and the noctua fans set to max.about 2900rpm.
I also was able to set the ram at 3333 in the bios with 1.395 volts
And userbench report it running 3324mhz.
The avrg bench show 103-104 this got 118.
I think I'm going to call it good and leave it where it's at.
THANKS AGIAN for responding.

Solution
Dec 31, 2018

If you are referring to the edc in red when in Ryzen Master I too had the same problem till I realized its not a problem. I had to find out from someone else that the reason why its red and full because precision boost is turned on and i couldn't find a good reason why i would want to turn mine off so i just left it. As long as Ryzen Master says your temps and voltages are good your ok

I went to the ryzen power plan
With 5% min processor state and no longer have that issue.
System is running Great!!!!!!!!!
Highest firestrike score so far for this system is 18063.
Cin ben 1467
Those were with ram kicked way up.
Could run the benchmarks but prime95 had issuse's so have backed it down, can now run p95 over 8hrs and no issuse's.
Amd made some big improvements from fx days, guess i just needed a little time and understanding of the new systems.
Thanks for the help guys.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds pretty sweet. Ya, When I ran Firestrike on mine, the highest single core was something in the 4.775 range, same thing, thought it was a faulty reading, but it seems if you've got good cooling, it can really get wild with the range. Have a fun and Happy New Year!