[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 3500 high temps under load

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Hey guys, I just built a system a month back, and I'm facing some heating issues.
Basic specs:

• Ryzen 5 3500
  • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • MSI GTX 1660 Super XS OC
  • Antec NX200 case
I checked the temps using MSI Afterburner, and I was getting CPU temperatures of 50-60 C when idle and 75-80 C under load (Tried with FFXV and Jedi Fallen Order). GPU temps were also hitting 80 C under load.
Ambient temperatures are in the 25-30 C range, and are bound to climb to around 35-38 during summer. I've been cleaning out dust regularly (and it's a rather new system), so that can be ruled out. Also, all BIOS is up to date.
The system is not overclocked, and I don't plan to do so in the near future. Presently using stock fans ( stock CPU fan and one exhaust fan on the back of the case).

While I do realize that 80 C is (barely) acceptable, I'd rather push those temps down a little, for longevity of the hardware. What would the best solution be for this scenario?
Getting an aftermarket CPU cooler was one option I was considering, and I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

• Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
  • Deepcool Gammaxx 400
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
I know for a fact that the Noctua variant would fit (since it's low profile), but I'm not that sure about the other two. On the other hand, the other two are significantly cheaper, which helps. I'm not quite sure about how to calculate the fit either, since the NX200's specs mention that the Max supported CPU height is 165 mm. The Noctua fan is just around 60 mm, so it should fit, but the other two are larger, so I'm not all that sure.
Which of those coolers work best? Or is there a better option in that price range that I missed? Also, would they fit?
Also, one last question - would it help to add additional case fans?

Solution
Have you tried moving around the fans in various configurations? Generally, for most cases, the fan configuration you are using should work well, but it's possible that something else might work better for a given setup. Perhaps try moving those front fans to the top instead, for example, as intakes, and see if that helps at all. Or maybe remove some PCIe slot covers to reduce the amount of heat building up under the graphics card. It might take some experimentation. It sounds like you are in a warm climate, so higher than average temperatures might be expected.

Flay_Gunnar

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Alright, I tried the deflectors, and that didn't achieve much. Still, it looks like the temps are mostly within acceptable limits now, so I'll leave it at this. Thanks for all the help, everyone!

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
Currently using a ryzen 5 3500 with stock cooling too and heavy gaming also keeps temps below 75 , 72-73 being the max just check whether the thermal paste application is proper