[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 3600 high temperature

Apr 6, 2020
I've recently build my pc (Specs will follow). Installed everything correctly, updated BIOS and installed drivers and utilities.

Problem is that when idle my Ryzen 5 3600 cpu is at 40°c. This doesn't seem a lot, but still when idle I think it's a bit too high.

When launching a game temp jumps to 65°c in a matter of seconds. Still not too worrying, but the annoying part is that my fans will spin like crazy. I have 3 Masterfan MF120R A*RGBs for exhaust and 2 Corsair stock fans for intake. So I don't think the problem is with fresh air in the case itself.

I've reapplied the CPU cooler, just to make sure it was placed correctly (thermal paste was enough, but I'll reapply it tomorrow when it arrives).

Software I used to check temperatures is the Ryzen Master. Core voltage at that moment was 1.3219 and speed at 3.726 Mhz.

So my question is as followed: How do I get my CPU to be cooler?

Specs:
  • Bios version: 7C02v35
  • Case: Corsair Spec-04 ATX Mid Tower
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
  • CPU cooler: stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 5 3600
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
  • GPU: Asus GTX 760
  • Case fans: Previously mentioned

Solution
those temps are well with in specs for Ryzen 3rd gen CPU. Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs idle hot (35 - 45 °c idle temp is normal for ryzen 3rd gen). If your case fans are ramping up you need to set the fan curves in bios, the curves you have right now were intended for Intel CPUs.
Also, increase the fan ramp up time, Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs often hit a really high temp for really short time (like 55c for half a second) this makes your case fans ramp up unnecessarily. but if you increase your fan ramp up time your fans will never ramp up for these short temp spikes.

haseeb98ahm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2018
those temps are well with in specs for Ryzen 3rd gen CPU. Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs idle hot (35 - 45 °c idle temp is normal for ryzen 3rd gen). If your case fans are ramping up you need to set the fan curves in bios, the curves you have right now were intended for Intel CPUs.
Also, increase the fan ramp up time, Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs often hit a really high temp for really short time (like 55c for half a second) this makes your case fans ramp up unnecessarily. but if you increase your fan ramp up time your fans will never ramp up for these short temp spikes.

Solution