[SOLVED] Amd ryzen 5 3600 overheating

Dec 30, 2019
Hi all, I recently build my first PC eith ryzen 5 3600 with b450 tomahawk max but I have 80°C at idle and 85-90°C in gaming. I'm running stock cooler with no overclock. My highest temp that I saw was 105°C.

dorsai

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Something is clearly wrong with your cpu cooler...either the fan is somehow damaged or you need to remove it and apply new thermal paste.

Better yet, buy a good after market cooler like the 212 Black.

Dec 30, 2019
Use the Ryzen Master software and see what that says, I believe you have to manually set a offset in coretemp for Ryzen.

You should also check to see if the fan on your CPU cooler is spinning.
I just installed it and its showing the same temps and yes my cooler is spinning

Was the pre-applied thermal paste present on the bottom of the cooler when you installed it? It should have looked like a grey circle of paste on the copper base. Did you also install the cooler correctly?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvKjsuznBk

If not or you cant remember you might want to buy some thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and Noctua NT-H1 are all good pastes avaiable on Amazon, Newegg and probably even Microcenter has one of them. Then remove your cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth such as a coffee filter, apply a pea sized amount of paste on the middle of the CPU (the top silver part, not the gold pin side), then reinstall the cooler.

Dec 30, 2019
Was the pre-applied thermal paste present on the bottom of the cooler when you installed it? It should have looked like a grey circle of paste on the copper base. Did you also install the cooler correctly?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbvKjsuznBk

If not or you cant remember you might want to buy some thermal paste, Arctic Silver 5 or MX-4, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, and Noctua NT-H1 are all good pastes avaiable on Amazon, Newegg and probably even Microcenter has one of them. Then remove your cooler, clean off the old thermal paste with rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth such as a coffee filter, apply a pea sized amount of paste on the middle of the CPU (the top silver part, not the gold pin side), then reinstall the cooler.
There was thermal paste and I did install cooler right side

Feb 21, 2020
I have the same CPU in my build. Same amount of fans. One front, one back, 2 on gpu and one on CPU. Max temp I ve got in gaming (any game, demanding or not) was 60-65 celsius but I have liquid cooler on mu cpu. Maybe its damaged, faulty? I read somewhere, when you have bent pins on your cpu it might cause overheating or other damage. Worth checking

Shekhar5

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2012
There was thermal paste and I did install cooler right side
I think you should try re-applying the thermal paste. Recently my i5 6500 was running 60-65 Degree C idle and around 95 D C while under load, we know that is unusual, I was playing no game and it is with stock cooler. I immediately ordered Cooler Master Mastergel Regular Thermal Paste, and suddenly temps dropped to 25 idle and 45-48 under load. Ambient temps 15 D C.

Last edited:

dorsai

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
Something is clearly wrong with your cpu cooler...either the fan is somehow damaged or you need to remove it and apply new thermal paste.

Better yet, buy a good after market cooler like the 212 Black.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS