Question AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with stock fan reach 100+ C with prime95 !

mo7ammed.3mr

Honorable
Mar 15, 2018
hi guys i bought this cpu yesterday and installed it with asus strix b450-f and i notice very high temp with stock fan after tested the temp with prime95 for just 10 mins my cpu reached very high temp ! so it is common problem with this cpu or stock fan problem or thermal paste !

IDLE Temp 45-55 c and gaming temp 75-85c
No overclock just enable XMP profile and my ram is 3000mhz
h6qRvsE.jpg

Last edited:
hi guys i bought this cpu yesterday and installed it with asus strix b450-f and i notice very high temp with stock fan after tested the temp with prime95 for just 10 mins my cpu reached very high temp ! so it is common problem with this cpu or stock fan problem or thermal paste !

IDLE Temp 45-55 c and gaming temp 75-85c
No overclock just enable XMP profile and my ram is 3000mhz
h6qRvsE.jpg
Idle and gaming temperature doesn't look that bad considering you're on stock cooling. But Prime95 is terrible and apparently it's surviving it, probably by throttling.

Still, if that's Prime95/small FFT it's understandable. That's why nobody does it for long, and why better-than-stock cooling is needed to get the most out of Ryzen.

At least it looks like voltage is dropping down to maybe 1.1 volt range; but it's hard to say with HWMonitor.

mo7ammed.3mr

Honorable
Mar 15, 2018
Idle and gaming temperature doesn't look that bad considering you're on stock cooling. But Prime95 is terrible and apparently it's surviving it, probably by throttling.

Still, if that's Prime95/small FFT it's understandable. That's why nobody does it for long, and why better-than-stock cooling is needed to get the most out of Ryzen.

At least it looks like voltage is dropping down to maybe 1.1 volt range; but it's hard to say with HWMonitor.
this temp with performance boost enabled ( cpu reached 4.20 ghz under test ) i think i should disable this feature ?!

this temp with performance boost enabled ( cpu reached 4.20 ghz under test ) i think i should disable this feature ?!
If your purpose for the computer is to run Prim95 all day long I'd do that... and more. But for playing games I don't see any reason.

What I would do is invest in a better cooler for it; Ryzen loves good cooling and rewards you for it with higher sustained clocks and performance.

The load induced by CPU-z/bench/stress CPU is less stressful than that of Prime95, and, even that typically induces temps a few degrees higher than typical gaming.

(Do you have latest mainboard BIOS, and, latest AMD mainboard chipset drivers? Each version out the past few months does a few tweaks to optimize power/clock speeds/thermals; additionally, maybe your mainboard is applying a slightly higher core voltage than needed, and, core voltage has a large impact on temps at high clock speeds under load)

It looks like you could use some improved case cooling...either add more fans or just buy a better case with 3 intake fans in the front.

Also might need to grab a better CPU cooler if the case improvements don't provide enough temp drop...the gaming temp hitting 85c is too hot for my taste.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Alpha39401

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2015
I had a similar issue, even with a small tower cooler. It hits 95°C immediately after starting Prime95 small FFTs. I run Folding @ Home occasionally which generates as much heat as this do, so it's a concern. Without upgrading the cooler you can try disabling PBO and undervolting. I'm doing the latter plus an upgrade to a 240mm AIO.