Question AMD Ryzen 5 3600X questions (base clock, core voltage, temperature)

Yigas

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Hey everybody.

Last week I have built a new system that has MSI MPG x570 Gaming Plus and AMD Ryzen 5 3600X (stock cooler). When I came home something bothered me: CPU was constantly working @4.2 GHz and was never downclocking and as a result, its temperature was always around 60-66 (whether on idle or I was gaming). However, today I did some googling and turned off "core performance boost" and "precision boost" on BIOS since I was not happy with my idle rates (I didn't want my CPU to run at 4.2 GHz with 60 temp. on idle) and now my CPU is constantly at its base clock (3.8 GHz) and around 40 degrees idle, 50 degrees gaming. Anyhow my questions are:
(1) CPU Core Voltage was at "auto" and I didn't want to touch it. It is usually around 1.1V while my CPU frequency is at 3.8GHz, is it normal? Before turning off boosts, it was around 1.4V while CPU freq. at 4.2GHz.
(2) Although I am happy with the temperatures with this settings, now it never hits 4.2 GHz while I'm gaming. And never downclocks, it wasn't as well (but that part is not something I worry about). Is there any information about this?
(3) How can I learn my chipset driver version? And my chipset's temperature is usually about 54 degrees. Is this fine or should it be cooler?
(4) My current BIOS version is "E7C37AMS.A00", is this one of the stable versions? I have seen a lot of comments about BIOS regarding to the issue that I have mentioned above, did they update anything?

Btw I use MSI Dragon Center to monitor values (frequencies, temperatures, fan speeds etc).

Thank you.

Last edited:

Yigas

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
First try HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/download/ and monitor each core, most programs would show only highest core frequency.
Use Balanced power plan with minimum CPU at 5%. See what is exactly happening.

Thanks for the reply.

I have monitored each core via MSI Dragon Center, and as you say, some of them (usually 2 of them) appears to be around 4.2 when others are lower. I use Ryzen's Balance Power Plan, are you referring to it or Windows'?

And do you have any idea about other questions?

Thanks for the reply.

I have monitored each core via MSI Dragon Center, and as you say, some of them (usually 2 of them) appears to be around 4.2 when others are lower. I use Ryzen's Balance Power Plan, are you referring to it or Windows'?

And do you have any idea about other questions?
That's quite normal, it responds to demands of OS and particular programs/games. Although CPUs with multiple cores exist for may years now not all software is written to use more than one or two at a time.
Ryzen Balance Power Plan is same as windows one, both can be set to same values.
  1. Programs and games will use as many cores and at frequency they need, no more.
  2. There is no separate Chipset driver you can see in windows but is a conglomerate of drivers for different parts of it. You can get newest one here; https://www.amd.com/en/support

Reactions: Yigas

TRENDING THREADS