[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 3600x Very High Temps (New System Build)

SeanCasey96

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
I recently built a new system, moving from Ivy Bridge Intel to the new Ryzen 3600x. When I finished the build, I noticed that the CPU temps were quite high (40 deg. C idle, 80 deg. C gaming, 92 deg. C synthetic load). The AIO cooler I was using was a Cooler Master CL240L, but switched to the AMD stock cooler to see if there was a difference. Unfortunately temperatures are just as high. THe motherboard I am currently using is an ASUS X570 board.

Things I have tried...
  • New thermal paste
  • Switching coolers
  • Switching Win10 power plans
  • Updating BIOS

Please see BIOS picture below:

View: https://imgur.com/a/C75651Y

Solution
Yeah that's a really good BIOS temp for 3rd Gen Ryzen. My 3600 hits 48C in BIOS. (But 37C idle in windows with Ryzen Master.)

3rd Gen Ryzen does run hot, I believe this is due to how incredibly tiny the 7nm process is. As transistors get packed together and get smaller (plus there's more of them), it all contributes to heat and the tighter stuff is packed together, the harder it is to dissipate that heat.
BIOS is not idle (it places a load on the CPU) and 40C in BIOS is normal.

Your gaming and synthetic load temps are high for the CL240L, unless it wasn't working properly. The stock cooler though, idk those could be normal temps for that.

CPU voltage is high, but so is mine on my Asus X470, same as yours 1.45V and mine even goes up to 1.5V at times. Stock settings. But my temps are great, like 50C gaming with 3700X. The 3600X is a 95W CPU though compared to the 3700X 65W.

I'd test out the CL240L again, make sure the pump is turned on 100% and that the fans are ramping up, maybe try a performance fan profile. If they don't get any better then I'd return the cooler and try to get my money back and try a different/better cooler.

SeanCasey96

Prominent
Aug 11, 2019
BIOS is not idle (it places a load on the CPU) and 40C in BIOS is normal.

Your gaming and synthetic load temps are high for the CL240L, unless it wasn't working properly. The stock cooler though, idk those could be normal temps for that.

CPU voltage is high, but so is mine on my Asus X470, same as yours 1.45V and mine even goes up to 1.5V at times. Stock settings. But my temps are great, like 50C gaming with 3700X. The 3600X is a 95W CPU though compared to the 3700X 65W.

I'd test out the CL240L again, make sure the pump is turned on 100% and that the fans are ramping up, maybe try a performance fan profile. If they don't get any better then I'd return the cooler and try to get my money back and try a different/better cooler.

Thanks so much for your reply!

I've read that people are getting high temperatures with the 3600x, and I also read that AMD uses different temperature reading methods than Intel does so maybe that makes a difference as well? Not sure..

Anyway, when I had my liquid cooler on I did try a performance fan setting in the BIOS and the temps did NOT lower. I also measured temps using Ryzen Master on Windows 10 desktop at idle (minimal background processes), and idles are around 40-50 degrees celsius. I also verified that the pump was operating and plugged into the AIO header on the mobo. The liquid cooler is being returned as we speak, but I'm still a little bit concerned there might be an underlying issue with the CPU itself considering the temps did not change when swapped to stock cooler (which I hear is quite good).

If anyone has some further insight that would be greatly appreciated!

Jul 10, 2019
a LOT of people have had similar experiences and there has been a lot of discussion around it too. Can I just direct you to this relatively shorty thread here, take a look at things said and done here to see if it helps you resolve your issues. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-3600-temps-high.3498528/page-2?view=date

As a rule though make sure you have the latest chipset driver, the latest bios and avoid using monitoring tools other than ryzen master as others at the moment are known to cause false results.

Yeah that's a really good BIOS temp for 3rd Gen Ryzen. My 3600 hits 48C in BIOS. (But 37C idle in windows with Ryzen Master.)

3rd Gen Ryzen does run hot, I believe this is due to how incredibly tiny the 7nm process is. As transistors get packed together and get smaller (plus there's more of them), it all contributes to heat and the tighter stuff is packed together, the harder it is to dissipate that heat.

Reactions: SuperRichio
Solution