Review AMD Ryzen 5 5600G Review: The Value iGPU Gaming King

i would personally add to the cons: Vega

the only problem with this chip is the vega graphics. if they had RDNA it would basically destroy Intel's lower cpu's in cost to performance.
pcie 3.0 isnt really a con at this type of chip. Its a budget chip.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed
Aug 8, 2021
Actually it isn't Vega that is limiting their performance but their ddr4 ram. That is why they don't update beyond vega. Vega itself is limited by the speed of the ram so upgrading to rdna really wouldn't help much

twotwotwo

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Probably not a priority for Intel, but a TGL desktop chip (that non-OEMs can get) might make this segment more interesting, going by laptop benchmarks.

That or desktop Van Gogh 🤣 but I imagine Valve has all those booked for a while.

Jun 3, 2021
Building an RGB matx non gaming system on a budget, and, not understanding, at 79, much of the language from the tech savvy contributors, I rely a lot on certain comments and reviews to make purchase decisions.

This G series integrated graphic CPU, on a B450M DS3H v.2 mobo and Cooler Master G100M low profile cooler in a NXZT h501i case looks like a workable base configuration.

The rest of the components should be elementary.

Reactions: twotwotwo

hrudy

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
Most of you won't care about this issue . I was evaluating the AMD Ryzen5 5600G using an existing Linux Image based on Centos 7. I wanted to get away from Intel and try AMD. However, this processor consistently generated Panic Traps, both from the image and even from the Centos 7.9 install disk. I was using a GIGABYTE B550M DS3H . I have never seen an X86_64 part generate Linux Panic traps by just booting. Usually there are minor issues like not seeing the audio or ethernet components. And yes ithe Ryzen 5 5600G will boot from later kernels.
And yes an AMD cpu without the GPU enabled works fine. I then ran into the second problem which is that even with a late Ubuntu distribution the AMD DRM gpu code didn't not want to install. I have never encountered this level of incompatibility since I've been using Linux which is around Y2k. Naturally AMD support doesn't care since it is Linux. For this level of incompatibility I might as well be running an ARM processor.

tracker1

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
tracker1.dev
... AMD support doesn't care since it is Linux. For this level of incompatibility I might as well be running an ARM processor.

It's definitely a mixed bag. I learned this using an RX 5700XT at release. I had to run beta/alpha kernels for the first 6 months or so.. Ubuntu 20.04 was really the first release with decent in the box support and even then better with later kernels. So it's not too surprising.

I also had similar issues with Intel AX wireless at that time (Around x570 Master, motherboard). And that doesn't even cover trying to get RGB in Linux working.

I've since gone back to solid, no window, case. I'm also now on an RTX 3080, as I'm running some video AI stuff that didn't do well with AMD at the time.

Nvidia drivers haven't been the best either. At least at this point it's mostly mature. Unfortunately, bleeding edge hardware and Linux means a bit of pain.

If suggest only running a very recent kernel in hardware released at least 4 months before your OS release. CentOS stable is not that. Should run a recent Fedora instead. I'm not that up on rpm distros, preferring Debian based myself. I know there are a couple newer white box RedHat options though.

render1967

Reputable
Apr 23, 2018
Hi, guys! I have a question. Help me, please! Does the built-in video in 5600G support analog signal via D-sub? I ask because I have a problem with this - there's no signal via D-sub. Computer configuration: CPU Ryzen 5 5600G, MB ASRock B450M Pro4-F R2.0, RAM ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz, HDD ADATA Ultimate SSD SU650 120GB + Apacer AS2280P4 M.2 PCIe 512GB, PSU FORTRON HYPER K PRO 500W, monitor ASUS VH222S

Girl_Downunder

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
Most of you won't care about this issue . I was evaluating the AMD Ryzen5 5600G using an existing Linux Image based on Centos 7. I wanted to get away from Intel and try AMD. However, this processor consistently generated Panic Traps, both from the image and even from the Centos 7.9 install disk. I was using a GIGABYTE B550M DS3H . I have never seen an X86_64 part generate Linux Panic traps by just booting. Usually there are minor issues like not seeing the audio or ethernet components. And yes ithe Ryzen 5 5600G will boot from later kernels.
And yes an AMD cpu without the GPU enabled works fine. I then ran into the second problem which is that even with a late Ubuntu distribution the AMD DRM gpu code didn't not want to install. I have never encountered this level of incompatibility since I've been using Linux which is around Y2k. Naturally AMD support doesn't care since it is Linux. For this level of incompatibility I might as well be running an ARM processor.

I wondered if you asked at the Ubuntu forums on this issue. I personally run Mint Mate on an old 4th gen i5 desktop. I'm looking to upgrade to "nearly" the newest (not worried about PCIe 4) and have been eyeing the 5600G due to price as well as preferring iGPU as a backup if dedicated fails. Reading this has me a bit worried. Runs off to the Mint forums to see what I find there!