Nov 28, 2021
Hi, I am building a new system and I am going nuts over the fact that I want to buy an AMD Ryzen 5 5600x but I want to know the stepping of the one I will buy due to mobo BIOS version support differences. I can not find any helpful way to understand which steeping, that being either B0 or B2, does the one I want to buy have . How do I identify which stepping (B0 OR B2) it has, Help me please . I want to avoid opening the box, thus voiding any return chances .HELP.
Thank you in advance.

Solution
What motherboard do you have?

The latest BIOS, with the latest AGESA and SMU, will most likely support either stepping and it's highly recommended to run it for any Ryzen 5000 since it also fixes a number of problems. It also improves compatibility for Windows 11.

EDIT: I checked my B550m TUF-Gaming and there is no distinction at all for 5600X B0 or B2 stepping. There is for 5800X, but the support-from BIOS for either one is 1004. That suggests to me there's no difference in AGESA or SMU at least.
What motherboard do you have?

The latest BIOS, with the latest AGESA and SMU, will most likely support either stepping and it's highly recommended to run it for any Ryzen 5000 since it also fixes a number of problems. It also improves compatibility for Windows 11.

EDIT: I checked my B550m TUF-Gaming and there is no distinction at all for 5600X B0 or B2 stepping. There is for 5800X, but the support-from BIOS for either one is 1004. That suggests to me there's no difference in AGESA or SMU at least.

Last edited:
Solution