[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5 5600x sudden temperature spikes & changes

May 18, 2022
Out of options so here goes:

A little background story, my PC used to run 40-50 degrees at idle, and the highest temp I saw was 70 when playing a rather demanding game. It was all okay until one day I force quit a game that had frozen, and afterwards the PC forced shut down. When I started it up again, I got the message that the PC shut down due to high temps. Upon starting up, it would crash again, citing the same reason. After around 3 attempts of opening it with the same end result, I eventually stopped and re-installed my aio cooler, along with a re-application of the thermal paste. This seemed to work, for maybe 2-3 days. Now, I constantly idle above 60 degrees, and sometimes, even when it's idling, it would randomly spike to 80-85. When I play games, temps are constantly above 70, and sometimes even go to 90. Because of this I have put off playing games out of worry for my CPU frying, and I try not to use it at all in general.

I am out of answers, as I've tried everything I can think of, re-applying the aio cooler and the thermal paste, cleaned out all the fans and the PC (so no dust/dirt etc), made sure all my fans were working including the aio fans, the aio pump is also working perfectly fine, as I've looked at its rpm and it's functioning. It definitely doesn't seem like an airflow problem as the PC was fine for months and the problem only occurred recently. The air inside and around the PC doesn't seem to be warm either even when the temp says it's high, and I've touched the aio itself as well even when it's running loud, and it's cool to touch, so I slightly have doubts whether my CPU temps are running high at all. When it spikes to 80-85, I also don't encounter performance issues, with the PC running fine. I have been monitoring my temps and CPU usage, and the highest CPU usage I have seen was 35-40% with temps going high.

For anyone who needs my build: (new PC so all parts are new, none recycled)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
AIO: Lian Li Galahad 240
Motherboard: ASUS Prime B550M-A
Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTRG 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz
SSD/HDD: WD 1TB Blue Edition 3.5" SATA3 Internal HDD + WD 1TB Blue Edition 3.5" SATA3 Internal HDD
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC PRO 3.03060ti
PSU: EVGA 700W Gold Power
Chassis: DEEPCOOL Macube 110

Last edited:
Solution
If it helps establish some baseline about how hot the 5600X should be
  • Ambient: 23-27C
  • Idle temps: 35C-40C
  • Idle temp spikes: 50C
  • In-game temps: 55C
  • Handbrake temps: 65C
However note that I've also done the following:
  • PBO: Enabled with Curve Optimizer
  • Offset value: -30 ( I think, it could be -25) on all cores
  • Auto OC: +100
All in the CPU's PPT typically gets to 70-75W.

I'm using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut. Case is a Fractal Design Meshify C with Noctua redux fans.

Colif

Win 11 Master
what are you using to track temperatures?

Are you running any Asus utilities on PC? Armory crate? Just wonder if its an overclock or something. Though it randomly starting in a game would be odd.

this seems unlikely:
PSU: WD 1TB Blue Edition 3.5" SATA3 Internal HDD
:)

May 18, 2022
what are you using to track temperatures?

Are you running any Asus utilities on PC? Armory crate? Just wonder if its an overclock or something. Though it randomly starting in a game would be odd.

this seems unlikely:

:)
My bad for the typo, I've edited it but my PSU is EVGA 700W Gold Power.

I was using both the AMD Ryzen Master and the HWINFO. And no, not running any ASUS utilities or aforementioned,, and I don't play around with overclocking it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Does the Lian LI AIO have software? can it tell you temps liquid runs at? monitor its pump speeds?
My AIO does
LgRY11G.jpg

it sounds to me like AIO not working right.

I only have a 3600XT so temps aren't exactly same but your 40-50 sounds about normal for package temps. cores normally a little lower. And less likely to be around 50 for me.

Ryzen spiking is normal, it will do that if your pc runs a process at idle, it will wake a core, run it as fast as possible and then rush it back to idle again. Its why I don't watch package temps but instead follow Core temps. They mostly ignore spikes. Cores run cooler than the package.

having said that, your temps are a little warm. But what are ambient temps there? 3c outside right now so I am on 36c at idle.

If it helps establish some baseline about how hot the 5600X should be
  • Ambient: 23-27C
  • Idle temps: 35C-40C
  • Idle temp spikes: 50C
  • In-game temps: 55C
  • Handbrake temps: 65C
However note that I've also done the following:
  • PBO: Enabled with Curve Optimizer
  • Offset value: -30 ( I think, it could be -25) on all cores
  • Auto OC: +100
All in the CPU's PPT typically gets to 70-75W.

I'm using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO with Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut. Case is a Fractal Design Meshify C with Noctua redux fans.

Solution