AMD Ryzen 5 going down in price?

Jan 2, 2019
I'm a bit new to all of this so bear with me here. But I'm considering getting an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and heard that AMD might be announcing a new line of CPUs tomorrow. How much is this gonna affect the price of the older AMD CPUS, and how long should I wait before purchasing the 2600? Thanks!

Solution
If you look at the price history of the Intel Core I7-8700K before and after the Intel Core I7-9700K was released, you'll note that it actually increased in price. People seem to think that just because a newer processor is being release, the older ones are going to go down in price. What they forget is that the higher demand for the older processors causes prices to increase.

I'd be willing to bet you won't see a significant price drop for the Ryzen 5 2600 when the 3000 series chips are released. Personally, I wouldn't bother waiting. If the Ryzen 3xxx series are being released in a month or two, then I'd probably wait for one of those. Otherwise, I'd just get a 2600 as soon as you're ready to.

-Wolf sends

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
That'll entirely depend on 1) release date of new line (will not be tomorrow, announcement at best tomorrow) 2) the actual performance of new chips. The 1000 series are a good bit.cheaper than they were but they didn't fall off the table from prices 3-4 months after release. If 3*** series chips come with 2-4 more cores at each step and a good clockspeed and ipc bump vs 2*** expect the 2*** series to fall off a table if they more closely resemble current gen then it'll be small and gradual

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you look at the price history of the Intel Core I7-8700K before and after the Intel Core I7-9700K was released, you'll note that it actually increased in price. People seem to think that just because a newer processor is being release, the older ones are going to go down in price. What they forget is that the higher demand for the older processors causes prices to increase.

I'd be willing to bet you won't see a significant price drop for the Ryzen 5 2600 when the 3000 series chips are released. Personally, I wouldn't bother waiting. If the Ryzen 3xxx series are being released in a month or two, then I'd probably wait for one of those. Otherwise, I'd just get a 2600 as soon as you're ready to.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Latest posts