News AMD Ryzen 5000 Chips Are In Stock for Next-Day Delivery...In Europe

Makaveli

Splendid
I see 5800X's in stock in a store very close to me but they want $699 Cad for it which is a price I refuse to pay.

The MSRP in USD is $449 convert to CAD and that is about $572 then add taxes and retailer markup should not equal $700.

I'm going to wait until Rocket lake S is out which should cause a price correction in March. I will not give these retailers extra money for these products.

Reactions: Why_Me

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
My local microcenter has had the 5600x and 5800x in stock for most of the past week. I stopped by for something else and ended up chatting with one of the employees about it and was told that it looks like in our area that equilibrium has been reached on those two for supply and demand. There's still a shortage on the 5900x and 5950x, but its nice to see the more accessible members of the product stack are getting easier to buy

Reactions: Why_Me and Makaveli
Dec 29, 2020
Everyone is waiting for CPUs and GPUs. But when they restock, will it be enough for everyone? Or will it be just enough for like 10% of people and remaining will have to wait again?
To be enough, it must be thousands, if not tens of thousands of each model. I don't think CPUs and GPUs will be comfortably available any time soon. They will be out of stock at least end of the 2021.

I believe this TH News article is a bit misleading about prices in Europe (or at least not complete). Let me explain.

Even official €/US$ exchange ratio is 1:1.2, that's never really the case for consumer electronics pricing in Europe. Fact is, for years, actual ratio is 1:1 -greedy shops I guess.
So, if MSRP for R9-5900X is US$550, consumer in Europe expect it would be 550€ . That's reality and is not true only for CPU's.

Now, I don't know for outside of Europe, but here all shops have prices with VAT included! Depending on country, VAT in Europe varies between about 19% and 24% (22% where I live).
That is, R5-5600X (MSRP 300€) should cost in shop 300€+22%=366€. And similar, R9-5900X should cost 550€+22%=671€.

Hope that clarifies a bit.

Reactions: prtskg and Makaveli
My local microcenter has had the 5600x and 5800x in stock for most of the past week. I stopped by for something else and ended up chatting with one of the employees about it and was told that it looks like in our area that equilibrium has been reached on those two for supply and demand. There's still a shortage on the 5900x and 5950x, but its nice to see the more accessible members of the product stack are getting easier to buy
lucky. my microcenter sells out in the same day they get restocked...

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
So you can find a 5600X for 370€.... I don't get why they are lucky. I understand that tomsharwardware want to sell processors but please take care of your readers too.

So you can find a 5600X for 370€.... I don't get why they are lucky.
Buying at MSRP (+VAT) is not really a "lucky" price -it's should be seen as max price at which product is still "worth" buying.
And about supply.. I just checked again: in my country (Slovenia) all 5000 series CPU's are available. All (except Ryzen 9) are also available in many stores in Austria and Germany -at MSRP, of course. So, at least for this part of Europe, we can't talk about short supply anymore. Those who really want it and are ready to pay for it, can get it.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Buying at MSRP (+VAT) is not really a "lucky" price -it's should be seen as max price at which product is still "worth" buying.
And about supply.. I just checked again: in my country (Slovenia) all 5000 series CPU's are available. All (except Ryzen 9) are also available in many stores in Austria and Germany -at MSRP, of course. So, at least for this part of Europe, we can't talk about short supply anymore. Those who really want it and are ready to pay for it, can get it.
The definition of worth is subjective in my opinion. MSRP should be the price that you pay for the product, but depending on individuals, most will be willing to pay over MSRP given the current supply issue. The question of how much more over MSRP will differ quite significantly from person to person.

javiindo

Reputable
Jun 12, 2019
The definition of worth is subjective in my opinion. MSRP should be the price that you pay for the product, but depending on individuals, most will be willing to pay over MSRP given the current supply issue. The question of how much more over MSRP will differ quite significantly from person to person.

That would be the case if there is not a intel product. The MSRP of a 5600X is around 300€ (300$ + VAT). The question is not if it's worth or not. The question is at what price should I take an intel 10700 instead of 5600X. Because when there is a review they suppose that they have a default price. If this price changes, it changes the recommendation too. Even if the 5600X is at 300€, if the 10700 is at 150€, I go for the 10700 :).

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
That would be the case if there is not a intel product. The MSRP of a 5600X is around 300€ (300$ + VAT). The question is not if it's worth or not. The question is at what price should I take an intel 10700 instead of 5600X. Because when there is a review they suppose that they have a default price. If this price changes, it changes the recommendation too. Even if the 5600X is at 300€, if the 10700 is at 150€, I go for the 10700 :).
I don't dispute what you mentioned, but it is also a fact that if a product is worth paying extra is really subjective to an individual. You may feel that the Intel chip is a better alternative for example, but that does not mean everyone will think the same. I was initially thinking whether to jump back to Intel as well since it is clear that the 10850K looks like a good deal vs the R7 5800X and 5900X. But after working out the fact that I need a good Z490 board, I think the the cost advantage is nullified. I will not factor in cooling because in both cases, AMD or Intel, you need some good cooling solution to keep the chip running at its full potential as well. Another consideration for me is the high power consumption of the Intel chip which deterred me from going back to Intel.

..is also a fact that if a product is worth paying extra is really subjective to an individual.
Agree fully! Many times we don't distinct between "need" and "wish" to have :)
..I need a good Z490 board, I think the the cost advantage is nullified. I will not factor in cooling because in both cases, AMD or Intel, you need some good cooling solution to keep the chip running at its full potential as well.
I was in Intel camp for about 10 years and upgraded three times during that time. Last year (time to upgrade again) I switched to AMD. The thing was, no matter how I calculated, Intel route turned out quite more expensive than AMD at similar performance.
Now I'm running 5900X on 110€ motherboard, cooled with 50€ CPU air cooler. And yes, I get full performance: max 82-83°C at ~22°C room temperature. I don't give a crap if Intel is 8fps faster in some game (is all Intel can show right now)... and I don't want to turn my PC into water cooled nuclear plant to get performance.
But who knows.. in five years, I will maybe switch back to Intel again :)

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I was in Intel camp for about 10 years and upgraded three times during that time. Last year (time to upgrade again) I switched to AMD. The thing was, no matter how I calculated, Intel route turned out quite more expensive than AMD at similar performance.
Now I'm running 5900X on 110€ motherboard, cooled with 50€ CPU air cooler. And yes, I get full performance: max 82-83°C at ~22°C room temperature. I don't give a crap if Intel is 8fps faster in some game (is all Intel can show right now)... and I don't want to turn my PC into water cooled nuclear plant to get performance.
But who knows.. in five years, I will maybe switch back to Intel again :)
Agree. I believe almost everyone using a computer would have been using an Intel system for at least a decade. The way Intel makes money is to really slice and dice their products finely, for example, if you need to overclock the ram and/ or CPU, you need to get a Z series board. If you want a chip that you can overclock, then you will need a K series chip on top of the Z series motherboard. And this is very annoying when you compare with AMD where any chip can be overclocked, and they even allow overclocking on a mid tier chipset.

In the case of Comet Lake, I did the math of getting a CPU, motherboard and cooler, and it is not cheap. Sure there are cheaper Z490 motherboards out there, but reviews have shown that they are poorly build and will impact performance because it will overheat and throttle. At the end of the calculation, the need for a good cooler and motherboard simply negates the cost savings from buying Intel over AMD. And I agree that while my PSU is capable of keeping up with the CPU's power requirement, I would prefer not to have a CPU running north of 200W. I've ran CPUs with 125W TDP in the past, and they are difficult to cool and heats up the interior of your case substantially under load if you are using air cooling.