News AMD: Ryzen 5000 Refresh Incoming, Zen 4 and RDNA 3 in 2022

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
Figures they'd announce the day after I buy a 5600X, LOL.
That's a sweet spot gaming processor congrats, it'll last you awhile. I bought an Alienware Aurora R10 with a Ryzen 3800X and the 3800X is plenty fast in 1080P, so I can sympathize. Now is the time to hold off on Rocket Lake and Ryzen Zen 3 CPU's. Getting closer to the next generation. IIRC, the Zen 4 will require the AM5 socket. Did I read that correctly?

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Been planning to buy a top-end AM4 CPU to round out my long-term build, but I think I can wait a bit longer if they're going to refresh the 5000 series with either XT variants with the extra cache, or possibly a 6000 series that simply have extra cache and minor tweaks to the 5000 series (as a result of improved yields/nodes). I'm privately hoping for it to just be a minor quarter-step up into a Ryzen 6000 series, if only to lock it into step with their GPUs.

JoBalz

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2014
Figures they'd announce the day after I buy a 5600X, LOL.

Agreed. I updated to 5600X about a month back. There always seems to be a new release with 1-2 months of updating! In technology, like with new cars, you only get to enjoy the new CPU(car) "smell" for just a short time before it becomes last year's model.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
AMD's CEO did not elaborate on how the company plans to improve its next-generation Ryzen 5000-series APUs and CPUs. A frequency hike is one of the options for mainstream processors.

That's an easy one for me: PCIe 4.0!

g-unit1111

Titan
Agreed. I updated to 5600X about a month back. There always seems to be a new release with 1-2 months of updating! In technology, like with new cars, you only get to enjoy the new CPU(car) "smell" for just a short time before it becomes last year's model.

I've been building a long time and that always seems to be the case. I got my Ryzen 1st gen, they announce the second gen. I get the 3rd gen, they announce the 4th gen. I get the 4th gen they announce the 5th generation. LOL.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
Been planning to buy a top-end AM4 CPU to round out my long-term build, but I think I can wait a bit longer if they're going to refresh the 5000 series with either XT variants with the extra cache, or possibly a 6000 series that simply have extra cache and minor tweaks to the 5000 series (as a result of improved yields/nodes). I'm privately hoping for it to just be a minor quarter-step up into a Ryzen 6000 series, if only to lock it into step with their GPUs.
The wait for a 6000 series might be a year or more. I would be surprised if they release Zen 4 any earlier than Q3 2022. So far, AMD has a significant lead on Intel in terms of efficiency and performance. Also, with the global chip shortage expecting to last until 2022, it would be wise for AMD to focus on securing production over adding products to already served markets.

Upgrading the 5900x / 5950X with 3D cache wouldn't surprise me. The use case for those chips could benefit more from 3D cache than the gaming and daily computing uses of the 5600x / 5800X. (Now watch, Google will make Chrome more obtrusive just to prove me wrong.)

As for frequency hike, that is just AMD doing the overclocking for me. But, @vern72 , I could see PCIE 4.0 support for APU being a definite draw. 3D Cache on APU to make up for real-estate loss to graphic cores would also be benefit.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
So we're going to have a repeat of those XT chips?
Oh dear...
So for you the 3D V-Cache bringing +15% perf = another XT chip?

I wish those 3000 series XT chips had +15% perf instead of just +100Mhz on the clock...

This will be their response to Alder Lake, not just some higher binned silicon.

Reactions: Jim90

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
So for you the 3D V-Cache bringing +15% perf = another XT chip?
According to the write up, "For the high-end market segment AMD plans to introduce CPUs with 3D V-cache". So I am not sure it will be present in 5600XT / 5800XT, or whatever AMD calls the midrange refresh. But it would be nice.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
According to the write up, "For the high-end market segment AMD plans to introduce CPUs with 3D V-cache". So I am not sure it will be present in 5600XT / 5800XT, or whatever AMD calls the midrange refresh. But it would be nice.
Why wouldn't it be? It works the same way (generally speaking) as Infinity Cache in RX 6000 series GPUs, which all tiers have it.

Lower tiers could just have lower size cache, that's all.

It will probably be named Ryzen 6000 series, considering a +15% perf increase is as good as a new generation. Think Zen to Zen+, just a little better.

This is not going to be a joke like the XT refresh was, some people are really disconsidering this 3D V-Cahce and I think they are in for a surprise. It will equal if not beat Alder Lake and will come Q4 2021 just in time for Alder Lake.

ConfusedCounsel

Prominent
Jun 10, 2021
@VforV I agree 3D-V Cache could be part of the 6600X / 6800X as part of Zen 4, just not the 5600X / 5800X refresh. Zen 4 (i.e. 6000 series) will not be released until late 2022, so I think we will have to wait until at least Q3 2022 to see 3d-V Cache on midrange CPUs. But it will be awesome when available.

Reactions: Phaaze88

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
@VforV I agree 3D-V Cache could be part of the 6600X / 6800X as part of Zen 4, just not the 5600X / 5800X refresh. Zen 4 (i.e. 6000 series) will not be released until late 2022, so I think we will have to wait until at least Q3 2022 to see 3d-V Cache on midrange CPUs. But it will be awesome when available.
You misunderstood me.

Because the 15% perf increase is as a good as new generation, this refresh will be as Zen+ was to Zen, as in, a new series with new name, even if the only change is that 3D V-Cache (and maybe also a slight bump in core frequency?).

So Zen3+ with 3D V-Cache will be 6000 series and Zen4 also with 3D V-Cache will be 7000 series.

This makes sense for me, but I don't have any proof, just speculation and rumors regarding the naming scheme, but we do know enough to be pretty sure the 3D V-Cache will come to both Zen3+ and Zen4.

g-unit1111

Titan
The 3700x is down to $269. Not terrible, if you need the cores/threads.

Yeah my Micro Center was having specials on it, but I wanted the 5600X for the low power requirements.

Everyone sort of knew this (Ryzen with larger 3D V-stacked cache) was coming 5-6 weeks ago right?

I know new CPUs come all the time so it's not surprising. I don't really expect much of a speed bump but I'm sure there will be some performance boost.

ottonis

Reputable
Jun 10, 2020
IIRC, the added 3D Cash was supposed to increase performance in games of all things.
My impression is that AMD mostly benefits from global chip shortage, just as Intel has benefitted during the past 12 months. Regardless of their CPUs being (much) less efficient compared with AMD, they sold every single CPU they could generate, and then some.
That's why AMD doesn't seem to go full in against Alder Lake, since they know very well that even if their Zen3+ chips might be slightly inferior to Intel's Alder Lake CPUs, they would still sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:
IIRC, the added 3D Cash was supposed to increase performance in games of all things.
What performance boosts cache provides depends on the application you're throwing at it. But anything that uses repeated data or instructions is going to benefit the most. I would imagine it would also boost the performance in say Cinebench because the only thing that changes is the data, the instructions are the same so it can live in cache.

TRENDING THREADS