News AMD Ryzen 5000G Cezanne APUs, OEMs Now, Coming To DIY Later This Year

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Also, bear in mind that all of Intel's comparative advertising today for it's latest gen is done against AMD GPUs/APUs 1-2 generations back from current AMD gen....;) AMD has big plans for the mobile markets--the laptop OEMs are getting first dibs because they make up the huge share of the laptop market--a market where DIY doesn't even exist...;) AMD is going in hard on the mobile market segment for laptops. Going to be an interesting year once the supply situation resolves.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

HideOut

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I just dont get no PCIe gen 4 though. with the 4000 series it was acceptable, but this is getting rediculous. A lower end to mid tier 5000 apu would be an awesome raid server/nas if it had 4x. If you want to go AMD right now you have to use slower storage controllers or cough up for a video card of some sort if you need to control it locally. We all know that GPUs are easy to get too.

jimhood82

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I just dont get no PCIe gen 4 though. with the 4000 series it was acceptable, but this is getting rediculous. A lower end to mid tier 5000 apu would be an awesome raid server/nas if it had 4x. If you want to go AMD right now you have to use slower storage controllers or cough up for a video card of some sort if you need to control it locally. We all know that GPUs are easy to get too.

Do you run a 100G network at home? If not, PCI-E Gen 3 drives are already 3 times faster than 10G networks even support.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Do you run a 100G network at home? If not, PCI-E Gen 3 drives are already 3 times faster than 10G networks even support.
No, but a professional may be interested in a PCIe 4.0 SSD, with double the bandwidth and double the IOPS.

I guess it may be physical space for the controller, or heat, or some other technical reason. It's still unacceptable that the second generation doesn't have it, especially with a powerfull 8-core CPU.

curious as to how it compares to the x for gaming performance...cause atm gen 4 pci isnt useful (and can always upgrade cpu when stuff uses it later in yrs) as the igpu might be worth it (as if ur gpu dies atm ur gonna be hurting)

jimhood82

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
No, but a professional may be interested in a PCIe 4.0 SSD, with double the bandwidth and double the IOPS.

I guess it may be physical space for the controller, or heat, or some other technical reason. It's still unacceptable that the second generation doesn't have it, especially with a powerfull 8-core CPU.
That makes no sense in context. I was replying to someone complaining that PCI-E 3.0 would hold back performance for NAS applications. Which, without 100G-E, it can't. In fact, even 25Gig-E is still going to be saturated. But now, you are talking about professional use that would demand all this performance... sorry, do you have a single use-case? Something where a pro would pick up a low-end APU and expect the kind of throughput you are talking about? Something where a 10G interface wouldn't be the bottleneck?

Frankly, I think you folks are simply reaching for something to nitpick over. In context, that APU seems quite well positioned. Apart from the Vega graphics being ancient and a poor fit for modern gaming.

InvalidError

Titan
In context, that APU seems quite well positioned. Apart from the Vega graphics being ancient and a poor fit for modern gaming.
And 3.0x8 is going to be a huge bottleneck if 4GB GPUs remain the only remotely affordable things going into the foreseeable future. It may not be much longer before 6GB GPUs need to use system RAM to cover moderate VRAM deficiency too.