[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5600x cpu suddenly high idle temperature

evilrid1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
So i was just in a game doing nothing and suddenly heard my system doing some crazy noise, so i left the game and reseted the pc and after the reset i dont hear that noise anymore but i noticed now that my cpu temperature is high just by doing nothing, just when im typing this now i see in CPUID HW monitor the cpu temp is 65°C ... and if open STEAM or Battle.net launcher that temperature is going to 70° celsius. It used to be 46 idle and when i was in games it wasnt going over 65, except in Warzone it was somewhere 70-72°. So what can i test to see whats my problem now and what additional information would be helpful to post here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600x
MB: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO v2
GPU: ASUS TUF RTX 3070 Ti
RAM: GSkill 32GB
CPU Cooling: Galahad AIO UNI FAN SL 360
Case: Lian Li o11 dynamic

Last edited:
Solution
A few things.

What is the age of the AIO?

Do you regularly clean your PC of dust?

Has there been a substantial change in ambient temps where you are? Coming into summer? Etc.?

I think in a case like this, if the above isn't issue, I would probably take down the cooler and check its paste application. When you put it back together check your pump speed, put a load on the CPU and see if you feel the rad getting warmer.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A few things.

Has there been a substantial change in ambient temps where you are? Coming into summer? Etc.?

I think in a case like this, if the above isn't issue, I would probably take down the cooler and check its paste application. When you put it back together check your pump speed, put a load on the CPU and see if you feel the rad getting warmer.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Check to see if there's any dirt or debris clogging the radiators fins and impeding the heat dissipation. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your platform, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? Have you tried touching the pump block to see if the pump's working? Also, please parse an image of the layout of parts in your chassis.

evilrid1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
A few things.

The system is 10-11 months old, last time i cleaned it was probably in march.
I started using it back in august 2021 so it was summer then also but i didnt had any problems ☹
And the radiatior is cold on touch.
Im suspecting maybe something in the bios was reseted or messed up

Last edited:

evilrid1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Check to see if there's any dirt or debris clogging the radiators fins and impeding the heat dissipation. What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? As for your platform, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on? Have you tried touching the pump block to see if the pump's working? Also, please parse an image of the layout of parts in your chassis.

Thanks for the reply.
There is nothing in the radiator fins blocking them i just checked that, as for the bios i think its F10 i downloaded newer BIOS version for my system but i didnt applied it yet, i wanted to get some help here first.
Im on Win10 version 21h1 (OS Build 19043.1706)
And as of wrting this im starting to hear some weird noise from my pc case like something is touching the fans but i cant see anything blocking inside the case xD

evilrid1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Now it even got worse and i have only chrome opened and this tab and the temp is crazy, i dont have anything else in the background, all unnecessary apps are closed...
So maybe something is definitely dead...

ubTRNkN.png

Last edited:

evilrid1

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
If your rad is cold to the touch, particularly on the inlet/outlet side I suspect pump failure.

Do you have an air cooler available to test with?

Well you said in the first reply to check the thermal paste, but i didnt want to think that could be the cause because the system is kinda new xD
Anyway i opened up the case and removed the pump and i was really surprised, in all my years i havent seen such a dry cpu, the thermal paste was really gone, i could read all of the inscription on the cpu without any problems, so i applied again thermal paste and im down to 38 °C idle and 60 - 72 (depends on the game), so its kinda better now 😀
I dont know what the hell i did back when i applied the paste for the first time...
Thanks again!

Last edited: