Question AMD Ryzen 5600x extremely high temps on Idle

Jun 8, 2023
I have the Following Setup :
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Cooler : Stock
  • Motherboard : MPG B550 Gaming Plus (MS-7C56)
  • BIOS Firmware : E7C56AMS.1D0 ( 2023-04-28 )
  • Room Temperature : 24 Celsius / 75.2 Fahrenheit
  • Case : Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
Everything is from a complete Upgrade a few months ago (GPU , CPU , RAM , Mobo).

Issue
I am experiencing high Temperatures at idle , usually around 65 and reaches easily 91 when on load. It has never gone above 93 even on stress for 30 minutes.
Note 1: I have applied Thermal Paste twice. That is certainly not the issue. I had the same exact Temperatures on the first application and when i opened it to apply the second time , there was no issue with the application. The thermal paste was on spot and the Heat Sink solidly attached to its base.
Note 2: I noticed that the Fan Speed is at 45% even while the CPU is reaching 90+ Celsius.
Note 3: No changes in Temperatures if i have the Lids open or not.

LOLEStd.jpg

Resources
These are two screenshots from my Bios Software displaying the Version and the Fan Control. I have not activated anything. I have left everything in BIOS on default regarding OC and generally performance.

QWnhN1J.jpg

RCzysPD.jpg

Here is a Screenshot in sequence while running cinebench. I have attached the Start , at 4 Minute mark and at 10 minutes.
DdzYUkQ.jpg

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try ad clear the CMOS. You can disconnect from the wall and display, then manually remove the CMOS battery and press and hold down the power button for 30seconds. Replace the CMOS battery after 30 minutes and see if you're able to get the system to boot without any overheating issues.

You're sure the mounting for the cooler is snug/without a screw being off balanced.

Jun 8, 2023
I will try clearing the CMOS and let you know how it goes.

Regarding the mounting : I have already remounted it once. I need to point out that , when i went on to remount the Cooler the first time , the CPU was stuck on it , so that seems like a good proof that the mounting was not the culprit in my situation. I then proceeded to clean the CPU from residues of the previous Thermal Paste along with the Cooler pad , reapplied the Thermal Paste and put it back in altogether. I have checked for loose screws and can definitely tell that there is none and also there is no degree of movement in any direction while attempting to jitter the cooling unit.

Jun 8, 2023
The results are the following after clearing CMOS :
  • Idle Temperature around 58-59 Celsius
  • Cinebench temps after a full cycle of 10 minutes peaked at 89 Celsius staying mostly at 88 Celsius. In the previous tests it would jump instantly to 80+ , whereas this time it gradiently went up to 80 after about 2 - 3 minutes.
  • CPU Speed is not always around 3.7Ghz. Now it goes up and down depending on state. Previously it would always be at 3.4Ghz and above no matter if idling or not. As an example at idle right now is at 1.24GHz.
There seems to be an improvement after the Clearing of CMOS but i believe still the 60 Celsius is not a temperature it should have while idling.

Jun 8, 2023
@geofelt : Are you sure that we are talking about the same case? If you looked at Newegg it has most of the specs wrong. Sadly you will not find the official one in Coolermaster , there is a new model now, but here is the best review i could find that shows exactly the one i have with the right specs. Press the "next page" to actually see the Case. : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-cosmos/

Nevertheless it is currently running with two 120mm on the top , one 120mm on the bottom , and one 120mm on the rear. I have tried both positive and negative pressure setups with sadly no real changes in temps. I have also tried with lids open (both of them) and closed again without changes in results.

@Kona45primo : Yes i am aware of that , and the 90 Celsius while stressing it , is not an issue , especially with the specific CPU which can take more than that. My issue is at idle. I was expecting temps lower than 50 while idling.

D

Deleted member 2947362

@geofelt : Are you sure that we are talking about the same case? If you looked at Newegg it has most of the specs wrong. Sadly you will not find the official one in Coolermaster , there is a new model now, but here is the best review i could find that shows exactly the one i have with the right specs. Press the "next page" to actually see the Case. : https://www.techpowerup.com/review/cooler-master-cosmos/

Nevertheless it is currently running with two 120mm on the top , one 120mm on the bottom , and one 120mm on the rear. I have tried both positive and negative pressure setups with sadly no real changes in temps. I have also tried with lids open (both of them) and closed again without changes in results.

@Kona45primo : Yes i am aware of that , and the 90 Celsius while stressing it , is not an issue , especially with the specific CPU which can take more than that. My issue is at idle. I was expecting temps lower than 50 while idling.
Disable PBO it probs wont get much hotter than 70c under load probs 30-40c idle but my CPU is the 5600 non x and if your using the boxed heat sink they aren't grate but should get the job done.

While the case doesn't have the type of intake I'd prefer for a system like this I don't think the case is really your issue. If you have the money I'd highly recommend just buying something like the Thermalright Assassin (~$20 in the US). It will cool significantly better than the stock cooler and a tower cooler ought to work better in that case period.

I think I was looking at the same case.
But, of course the fan specs could be wrong.
You have the case in front of you, tell us exactly what fans you have and where.
You pretty much need at least two 120mm intake fans to provide sufficient cooling air for not only the cpu but for the motherboard and graphics card.

Jun 8, 2023
@thestryker Money is not an issue , i am simply trying to find out if i have a "problematic" unit or a "misconfigured" one. If temperatures around 60 Celsius is something common for a 5600X while utilizing a Stock Cooler Fan and also while idling then i am not going to dig it any further. If there is someone though , that is using the 5600X with the stock cooler and is monitoring substantially lower temps than mine while the system is idling , i certainly need to dig further.

@geofelt
You have the case in front of you, tell us exactly what fans you have and where

I have and you have also quoted it. Read the middle paragraph of your message.

D

Deleted member 2947362

@thestryker Money is not an issue , i am simply trying to find out if i have a "problematic" unit or a "misconfigured" one. If temperatures around 60 Celsius is something common for a 5600X while utilizing a Stock Cooler Fan and also while idling then i am not going to dig it any further. If there is someone though , that is using the 5600X with the stock cooler and is monitoring substantially lower temps than mine while the system is idling , i certainly need to dig further.

@geofelt

I have and you have also quoted it. Read the middle paragraph of your message.

I think you'll find it maybe the stock cooler not sure what the weather is like where you are but the hotter the weather gets the more the heatsink will struggle to maintain cooler temps better the cooling the higher the head way it will give you in the hot months.

Temperatures under load are going to be high. That is what the cpu and motherboard is designed to do.

But the high idle temperatures are bothersome.
There may be more going on at "idle" than you realize.
One thing you can do is to set the fan profile to have the cooler fan run at higher rpm initially.

For that matter, you could set the intake fan to run on a more agressive speed profile.

The stock cooler is a top down cooler that is good for cooling motherboard parts like the vrm's.
But tower type coolers will stick up into the cooling airstream and be more effective.

I would think that a good twin tower cooler would be a good idea.
Not only will your idle temperatures get better, but your max performance limit should be increased.
Your case looks like it can hold a 165mm cooler.
On a budget the thermalright peerless asassin is a good value.
The very best is a noctua NH-D15.

If you have PBO on then yes those temps are normal.

If money isn't an issue you should buy a new cooler no matter what. The stock cooler on those, while not as bad as Intel's, is designed to be just good enough at stock settings. You don't need to go spending huge money on a cooler as that chip is still very efficient overall. As far as air coolers go Thermalright is still my current favorite due to how great the performance is versus the price you're paying. Their $40-50 coolers are better than most of the big name company's $70-80 ones. Noctua has the best stock fans on their coolers and they'll last an extremely long time so if that is important to you definitely look at them.

Jun 8, 2023
@thestryker Generally my aim when building a system is to keep it "alive" for 6+ years with minimum upgrades in the meantime. Those high idle Temps are not a good indication for longevity. So , i went on and ordered the NH-D15. It was in my "upgrades if needed" list when i first decided what my setup would be. According to the reviews they are extremely reliable and their performance is more than adequate for this CPU (if not an overkill for a not OCed system).

I do not have the luxury of any kind of failure / downtime due to faulty equipment , especially when it is so obvious from the start that something will fail eventually. It will be here on Tuesday , i will post my first results.

Reactions: thestryker
Jun 8, 2023
After the installation of the NH-D15 the results are the following. Again after Clearing CMOS and with default configuration , no changes in BIOS whatsoever :

Note : The following Screenshot is while idling
6QKlt7g.jpg

In Cinebench :
  • CPU Utilization : 100% (For 10 Minutes)
  • Clock : 4.4Ghz (Through the whole process)
  • Temp : 61 Celsius (At the end of the 10 minute mark)
Idling :
  • CPU Utilization : 10%
  • Clock : 1.1Ghz
  • Temp : 43 Celsius
Are those idling temps normal for a 5600X with the NH-D15 attached? Or am i again on the high end of the scale and needs more digging , probably in the Case arrangement of Fans , etc. What are considered as "normal" temps for this setup while the system is idling?

If the CPU is only spiking up in temperature periodically, that's fine. For the explanation, there's always going to be idle tasks to do and Windows bunches them up so the computer idle longer between said tasks. But when it comes to servicing them, Windows shoves it all onto one core, which boosts hard, which causes the temperature to go up. Ryzen CPUs also report the hottest thing in the CPU as the overall CPU temperature for some reason.

Jun 8, 2023
After about one hour of light browsing and a couple of Youtube videos the temps are hovering around 47 Celsius and clock around 1.1 Ghz.

While the youtube video was playing it reached a top of 49 Celsius at 1.5Ghz. Generally though temps were alternating between 47 and 49 Celsius and speeds between 1.2Ghz and 1.5Ghz respectively.

I will order a few Fans to change my old ones , they have already served their purpose , it is time for new ones. I can not guarantee that they still work as expected.

Have a look at HWiNFO, it reports more temperature readings. If the average temperature reading is much lower than what's reported by Ryzen Master, I wouldn't worry about temperatures.

Alternatively, if you really want to, you can disable turbo boost to see if temperature goes down. See https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/something-to-consider-for-laptops.3737865/ (however a better way to enable the feature is to open PowerShell as an admin and put in the command powercfg -attributes sub_processor perfboostmode -attrib_hide )

Jun 8, 2023
@hotaru.hino There are for sure many ways to lower temps through various settings , either from my BIOS or from other Software that will generally throttle down the CPU in some way but i do not want to lower my temps by moving away from the default settings of a system.

If the default settings nowadays when you buy equipment is having PBO in aggressive mode then be it , i prefer leaving it there. The temperatures "should" have already be taken into account , from the manufacturer , when setting those defaults in the first place. So currently i am after "normal" idle temperatures using "out of the box" equipment with zero software configuration.

I have just received the Fans , i will make the appropriate changes and post back again the results.

Jun 8, 2023
Installed fans but still issues. I tried out though a test :
  • Opened Case Lids.
  • Room Temperature at 25 Celsius.
  • NH-D15 at 100% speed with Both Fans installed.
  • PC "idling"
  • Only the Case Exhaust Fan on 100% and all the rest turned off.
Temperature was stuck between 40 and 41 Celsius , clock around 1.1-1.2Ghz. That cant be normal , can it?

I am starting to think that the CPU or Mobo might be faulty , is there a way to be sure that this is not the case? Any kind of Test?

Last edited:
It's really not that big a deal, but you can check the clockspeeds at idle and if they're in the 3-4ghz range that means the CPU isn't clocking down for idle which could be power plan related. For whatever reason this can impact idle behavior on AMD CPUs. If you don't already have AMD chipset drivers installed (the ones from AMD not installed by windows) do that first, but then try setting windows to a balanced power plan.

Again these temps aren't terrible and isn't an indicator there's a hardware problem. Your maximum temperatures would be bad if it was hardware related.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
What makes you think PBO is Enabled by default on most motherboards?

If you check through various forums, you'll find that PBO on is not the default setting for a number of motherboards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gc5420/is_pbo_on_by_default/

Perhaps there's some confusion regarding the meaning of the "Auto" setting for PBO in some BIOS settings:-

Auto = PBO disabled by default, but possible to enable with software control via Ryzen Master.
Enabled = PBO definitely enabled.
Disabled = PBO definitely disabled, and can't be used from Ryzen Master either.

If your motherboard follows "normal" convention, then PBO is not switched on in the BIOS, but can be enabled via software, e.g. Ryzen Master.

Hence, your "overheating" problem is probably not caused by enthusiastic PBO boosting. More likely it's insufficient air flow.

I don't have PBO enabled on my system (7950X, NH-D15, full tower Lian Li case) and I run all my case fans at 100% when performing a 12-hour video rendering session to help cool the 5 hard disks and the GPU which is running flat out. I have an aggressive cooling profile set on the dual fans on the NH-D15 CPU cooler.

If I left all the BIOS fan settings at their defaults, the system would get stupidly hot and the program might crash. There is no advantage leaving everything at default 'out-of-the-box' settings. It's just a starting point. The BIOS is your friend. Use it to make things cooler or stop worrying about "overheating".

@Strahdvonzar what I'm asking isn't necessarily mucking with the default settings and keeping it there. It's to make a change to see what the behavior of the system is so at least I can figure out what's going on here. The one thing that's sort of bothering me is that you're reporting the CPU goes below 2GHz, which I've never actually seen my 5600X do in most frequency reporting tools that use an instantaneous (i.e., what is the clock speed right now) reading.

So after digging around I see that Ryzen Master doesn't report instantaneous speed. It reports a rolling average similar to what HWiNFO reports as "effective clock speed." That is, it takes into account that cores go to sleep.

This is why I suggested to disable turbo boost. If the CPU temperature is still a little on the warm side (say 40+C), then this more or less points to something wrong with the cooling system. But if drops to something more reasonable (like 30-35C in a ~22-23C room), then what you're observing is means that turbo boost is kicking in for short periods of time.

Honestly though, there's little reason to pay attention to idle temperatures unless it's over around 60C while the CPU is barely doing anything.