[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5950x dropping to 1/2 Ghz 22nd Jan 2022

Jan 23, 2022
I posted this yesterday as a response to another user with the same issue, on the same date at the same time. For some reason it posted on completely different thread than the one it meant to - apologies to the MOD that i upset for doing that - i put it down to the PC running like a Cyrix from 1999.

The orignal post below:

Same problem developed 1 hour ago.
Ryzen 5950x Crosshair VIII Formula 6900xt 32Gb 3600 G Skill Couple WD Black M2

BIOS current version.

Left PC on, came home, had rebooted, and BIOS showed HDD fault code. PSU on and off, rebooted fine all normal.
30 mins into game, Ghz dropped to .5.

Cleared CMOS, reset DOCP etc, all fine back to 4.9Ghz.

30 mins again dropped down.

Event Viewer shows a windows update.

Will update if fixed - going to be looking at power plan.

Windows 11

UPDATE later

Reflashed the BIOS, changed DOCP etc. Dropped again. Updated Chipset from AMD. Dropped again.

Set a TPUII O/C to 4.1 Ghz. Holding.

It is all very strange - i am going to restore backup from Sat 20th @ 9 AM tonight. I do not believe it is hardware related - the chances of 2 seperate users, on the same day, with the same platform experiencing this is so small, that i want to go and buy a lottery ticket.

Solution
I posted this yesterday as a response to another user with the same issue, on the same date at the same time. For some reason it posted on completely different thread than the one it meant to - apologies to the MOD that i upset for doing that - i put it down to the PC running like a Cyrix from 1999.

The orignal post below:

BIOS current version.

Left PC on, came home, had rebooted, and BIOS showed HDD fault code. PSU on and off, rebooted fine all normal.

Event Viewer shows a windows update...

The orignal post below:

BIOS current version.

Event Viewer shows a windows update.

Will update if fixed - going to be looking at power plan.

Windows 11

UPDATE later

Reflashed the BIOS, changed DOCP etc. Dropped again. Updated Chipset from AMD. Dropped again.

Set a TPUII O/C to 4.1 Ghz. Holding.

It is all very strange - i am going to restore backup from Sat 20th @ 9 AM tonight. I do not believe it is hardware related - the chances of 2 seperate users, on the same day, with the same platform experiencing this is so small, that i want to go and buy a lottery ticket.
Usually clocks dropping that low are due to something like over-temp protections kicking in. Definitely leave the BIOS unchanged after the CMOS reset until you work out the issues.

Have you run HWInfo64 to look at VRM and CPU die temperatures?

Solution
Jan 23, 2022
Hi Drea Drechsler,

All temps are looking fine idle 30 c on die idle, load around 59 c. VRM 29 idle, 48 load.

Using Ryujin 360 AIO.

PSU 1200w Thor

Will run stress now and report back.

Further Edit...

Just restored Backup from Saturday morning. No difference.

CPU was drawing 1v and 200 amps following restore.

Now reset cmos and no changes.

Back to normal operation default clocks 3.6Ghz boosting 4.3Ghz.

No stupid current draw.

Still confused as to what could have changed to cause this.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022
I am having the same issue, started with a system crash around 2:30 AM (CT) this morning 2022-01-24 while idle. I have windows update set to delay and manually apply them when I'm ready to avoid down time as i use this PC for my work. The last updates were applied on the 2022-01-21.

I restarted the crashed system this morning for work and after about an hour of running normally the clocks dropped to 550 mhz on all cores. After resetting the bios and installing the AMD chipset driver, it is now stuck at a locked 4.1 GHz, all-core. Changing PBO settings does not change anything.

System:
Asus x570-E Gaming
5950x
Dark Rock Pro 4
64 GB Memory (4x16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4-3600 CL16)
XFX 6700XT

This is the current values from HWiNFO64 on a mostly idle machine. Just have a browser open typing this message. Does anything stand out as something to try?
Ysr5aff.png

Edit to add:
The core clock multiplier was stuck at 41 and I could not find the place to change it in the bios. Clearing the CMOS seems to have helped. Will update if it happens again.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2022
And it crashed after about an hour. Rebooted and everything was fine until the clocks dropped again. there's nothing in the event viewer. About to swap mother boards!

Jan 23, 2022
Hey mate any luck? I’ve got the same issue w my 5950X and ROG Strix X570E
Alright,

So i did the following...

Reset CMOS

Removed Ryzen Master
Removed Armoury Crate

Reset CMOS

Changed Windows Power Plan to Balanced

Reflashed BIOS to Latest (was already on 3904) - just checked there is a new 4002 09/02/2022 with agesa update)

Set up DOCP and Resize Bar Again, boot drive etc - no other meddling

At each stage until the last one, no changes to current and clock.

Working nominally now, with boosting and current.

I did also roll back windows to a previous daily save ( i backup daily and retain 10 days) but had no impact.

Re installed Armory Crate.

Basically tried everything aside from a fresh install, but had little hope following the failed os rollback - to me has to be BIOS related - when i set a manually OC to 4.1 it held and remained.

End result, sitting here idle, 1.6Ghz - under load, boost to 4.95 with no strange currents.

Good Luck!

Jan 24, 2022
My issue seemed to be related to an update to Argus Monitor, which I use for fan control. They added support for an ASUS controller on the MB and it seemed to cause all kinds of strange clocks and crashes. I disabled that in the settings of Argus Monitor and haven't had a problem since. Check if you have something that is touching the different motherboard info / controllers (hwinfo64, cpu-z, Argus, Armory Crate, etc) and try to disable if possible.