[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 5950X temp 95C spikes

Mar 2, 2021
Hi All,

I have seen many questions regarding temperature issues with the Ryzen 5950X, but not so many with such high temperature like mine.

I have an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero and I updated the BIOS to the latest version.

What is really strange is that the temperature spikes in LESS THEN 1 SECOND from 45degrees (idle) to 80/85C as soon as I start a benchmark.

I reapplied the thermal paste and changed the cooling. Now I have a liquid metal thermal paste with EKWB custom loop. No way should reach such temperatures with this cooling.

By changing the throttling settings in the BIOS I've been able to avoid system restarts, but the CPU now does not go beyond 3.8/4.2GHz when using all 32 cores, with a stable 90C. CREAZY.

I am quite sure the thermal paste is correctly applied as well as the cooling. It's not my first time I build PCs and I checked correctly the process.

What do you think? 🙁 I am really running out of ideas.

Thanks to all

Solution
Ah sorry, didn't notice you mentioned that (cooler)in 1st post.

Btw, from my experience, Ryzen Master reports a bit lower temps than HwInfo (Tctl/Tdie). Means, if you see such high temperatures on Ryzen Master, that's a reason enough to worry. But yes, is worth checking with HwInfo too (just don't run both at the same time).

I have 5900X (which should be similar to 5950X in temperatures) and by using decent air cooler (BIOS at default-auto) with Noctua paste, I get 73°C on Cinebench23 Multicore and 77°C on HandBrake (video encoding) -I tell that just for comparison.
Yes, Ryzen CPU's do have fast temperature spikes (never above expected range, though). You just can't prevent that, no matter what cooling solution you have -I wouldn't...
Hi All,

I have seen many questions regarding temperature issues with the Ryzen 5950X, but not so many with such high temperature like mine.

I have an ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero and I updated the BIOS to the latest version.

What is really strange is that the temperature spikes in LESS THEN 1 SECOND from 45degrees (idle) to 80/85C as soon as I start a benchmark.

I reapplied the thermal paste and changed the cooling. Now I have a liquid metal thermal paste with EKWB custom loop. No way should reach such temperatures with this cooling.

By changing the throttling settings in the BIOS I've been able to avoid system restarts, but the CPU now does not go beyond 3.8/4.2GHz when using all 32 cores, with a stable 90C. CREAZY.

I am quite sure the thermal paste is correctly applied as well as the cooling. It's not my first time I build PCs and I checked correctly the process.

What do you think? 🙁 I am really running out of ideas.

Thanks to all
"the temperature spikes in LESS THEN 1 SECOND from 45degrees (idle) to 80/85C as soon as I start a benchmark."
Does it stay at 80/85C the whole time or just that one second?
"but the CPU now does not go beyond 3.8/4.2GHz when using all 32 cores, with a stable 90C."
You mean 16 cores? <- 5950X

Mar 2, 2021
"the temperature spikes in LESS THEN 1 SECOND from 45degrees (idle) to 80/85C as soon as I start a benchmark."
Does it stay at 80/85C the whole time or just that one second?
"but the CPU now does not go beyond 3.8/4.2GHz when using all 32 cores, with a stable 90C."
You mean 16 cores? <- 5950X

1. Yes, for 32 I mean physical and virtual ones.
  2. No, it stays there and reach the throttling temp (like ~90/95) until the workload is high (like benchmarking), and it drops to ~40C in less then a second again as soon as I stop the benchmark.

For example:

a. Idle: ~40C
b. Start benchmark: Immediately goes to 80/85C
c. Benchmark ongoing: Slowly goes to 90/95C
d. Benchmark stops: Immediately drops to 40C~
e. I'm getting creasy for this 😄

1. Yes, for 32 I mean physical and virtual ones.
  2. No, it stays there and reach the throttling temp (like ~90/95) until the workload is high (like benchmarking), and it drops to ~40C in less then a second again as soon as I stop the benchmark.
For example:

a. Idle: ~40C
b. Start benchmark: Immediately goes to 80/85C
c. Benchmark ongoing: Slowly goes to 90/95C
d. Benchmark stops: Immediately drops to 40C~
e. I'm getting creasy for this 😄
What are you using to monitor the temps?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Ok... I will, but what about the throttling? I mean... the CPU anyway lowers a lot the frequencies and without lowering the CPU temp. limit in the bios would also shut down for heating. This means that the AMD software is not lying. Don't you think?

When diagnosing something, you double-check all the possibilities so that you can eliminate problems, you do not simply assume that everything's working as it's supposed to.

Ah sorry, didn't notice you mentioned that (cooler)in 1st post.

Btw, from my experience, Ryzen Master reports a bit lower temps than HwInfo (Tctl/Tdie). Means, if you see such high temperatures on Ryzen Master, that's a reason enough to worry. But yes, is worth checking with HwInfo too (just don't run both at the same time).

I have 5900X (which should be similar to 5950X in temperatures) and by using decent air cooler (BIOS at default-auto) with Noctua paste, I get 73°C on Cinebench23 Multicore and 77°C on HandBrake (video encoding) -I tell that just for comparison.
Yes, Ryzen CPU's do have fast temperature spikes (never above expected range, though). You just can't prevent that, no matter what cooling solution you have -I wouldn't worry about that.
The problem is (as you already know), average high temperature at full load. Again, I assume there's no overclocking/TurboBoost enabled (using RAM in XMP mode doesn't matter in this case).
Ok, if you say you're absolutely sure you mounted cooler block properly, then I believe you. And so obviously, only water cooling is left... does pump run at 100%? No air pockets in water system?

Solution

eszed556

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2016
It may not make a material difference, but have you installed the latest chipset drivers from AMD's site?

I have paired the 5950x with a NH-D15 cooler. It idles at 32C. Ran Prime 95 for 20 mins and CPU gradually rose to 75C. This is within 30 mins of a fresh cooler mount. The thermal paste is Arctic Silver 5. My board is an ASRock X470 Taichi.

I do not experience any spikes that you've reported. PBO and XMP are enabled.