Aug 9, 2020
Recently upgraded from a 6700K to a 5950X. Got a new Corsair H115i cooler for it as well (280mm radiator).

This is my first AMD processor and I am still figuring out PBO etc (haven't changed things in the BIOS yet), but when I boot into windows (a fresh install) the processor temperature is ~50C, but even opening a chrome tab causes it to go to ~62 and then come back down to ~50C after a few seconds. In that brief moment I see some of the cores touch 5GHz.

I ran Cinebench R23 and the max temperature I got was around ~62 as well.

1) Is this temperature for the 5950X and H115i normal? I never had my 6700K get that hot just by opening a chrome tab.

2) I tried tinkering with AMD Ryzen Master, but if I fix the clock frequency in there, that seems to lock the processor to that frequency and provides no boost clock (maybe I am missing something). That does reduce temperatures, but I don't have any boost.

Any advice?
Thanks in advance for any help

Solution
I have set the pump speed to "BALANCED" in the Corsair iCUE software.
Not sure what balanced does, but pump should always be run at 100% in my opinion. Set the radiator fans dependent on CPU temp.

Where do we check the power plan (do you mean the control panel -> power options)?
Yes, in there.

Make sure it is set to "Ryzen Balanced". If this is not an option, make sure you download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMDs website or from your motherboards downloads page online.

This will help to make the CPU both efficient at idle and high performance when needed. I would not manually set the CPU to 3.6ghz as this will reduce performance a lot, and I really do not see a need for this.

Is there any reason...
First off, congrats on actually being able to acquire an elusive 5950x.

Ryzen boosts aggressively when any task including Windows background tasks are using the CPU, so it will cause a little bit of a temp spike. This is normal and to be expected.

Going from a 4 core to a 16 core is going to have greater heat output, even if it is on a more efficient 7nm node. That coupled with this aggressive boosting, these temp spikes are to be expected. Those temperatures are all safe and not very hot at all.

Typically, with newer Ryzen parts you are better off with something like PBO or honestly stock operation instead of a manual all core overclock. You are unlikely to get all 32 threads running at 5ghz, meaning locking the frequency to something like 4.7ghz all core will cause lower performance in some applications where a single core would typically boost to 4.9-5ghz at stock.

62c on cbr23 sounds pretty good not really seeing any issue between cpu temp and the h115i.
Also what do you have the pump speed set @ ?

I myself would make sure what power plan it's on ( if you don't see the Ryzen balanced power plan then update the chipset drivers from Amd )
and leave Ryzen Master to just monitoring and make any tweaks from bios.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Aug 9, 2020
First off, congrats on actually being able to acquire an elusive 5950x.

Ryzen boosts aggressively when any task including Windows background tasks are using the CPU, so it will cause a little bit of a temp spike. This is normal and to be expected.

Going from a 4 core to a 16 core is going to have greater heat output, even if it is on a more efficient 7nm node. That coupled with this aggressive boosting, these temp spikes are to be expected. Those temperatures are all safe and not very hot at all.

Typically, with newer Ryzen parts you are better off with something like PBO or honestly stock operation instead of a manual all core overclock. You are unlikely to get all 32 threads running at 5ghz, meaning locking the frequency to something like 4.7ghz all core will cause lower performance in some applications where a single core would typically boost to 4.9-5ghz at stock.

Thanks for the clarification NightHawk.

I guess I am better off just leaving the CPU at stock frequency with PBO.
Though I was not clocking it anywhere close to 4.7GHz as you suggested, just maybe to 3.6GHz (the stock base clock is 3.4GHz), but that took away boost clock.

Also do you think a 360mm radiator would have helped or does it have nothing to do with the cooler?

Aug 9, 2020
62c on cbr23 sounds pretty good not really seeing any issue between cpu temp and the h115i.
Also what do you have the pump speed set @ ?

I myself would make sure what power plan it's on ( if you don't see the Ryzen balanced power plan then update the chipset drivers from Amd )
and leave Ryzen Master to just monitoring and make any tweaks from bios.

Thanks for your feedback.

Where do we check the power plan (do you mean the control panel -> power options)?

Is there any reason you suggest making changes in the BIOS and just use Ryzen Master as a monitoring tool?
Also, if I set a multiplier value in my BIOS (say 36x) then I don't have any boost, is that how Ryzen works?

Thanks in advance

Not sure what balanced does, but pump should always be run at 100% in my opinion. Set the radiator fans dependent on CPU temp.

Yes, in there.

Make sure it is set to "Ryzen Balanced". If this is not an option, make sure you download and install the latest chipset drivers from AMDs website or from your motherboards downloads page online.

This will help to make the CPU both efficient at idle and high performance when needed. I would not manually set the CPU to 3.6ghz as this will reduce performance a lot, and I really do not see a need for this.

Is there any reason you suggest making changes in the BIOS and just use Ryzen Master as a monitoring tool?
Also, if I set a multiplier value in my BIOS (say 36x) then I don't have any boost, is that how Ryzen works?
I reccomend BIOS since that's what I am most used to usually. Ryzen master works though.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
Aug 9, 2020

Yeah, will do that.

Yes, in there.

Sure thing.

I reccomend BIOS since that's what I am most used to usually. Ryzen master works though.

Cool!

Thanks for all the guidance