[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Help

Feb 25, 2019
(I am brand new to building) So I bought a Ryzen 7 1800X and I was told by a friend that it came with a cooler, so I was fine with that. It wasn't until after, that I realised it didn't come with one. I don't have enough money to get a new cooler.
So (I feel a bit dumb for asking) will the AMD 65W Near-Silent Thermal Solution be enough? retracted my moderator Feel quite stupid for not properly reading it.

Specs:
Motherboard - Asus Prime A320M
CPU - Ryzen 7 1800X
GPU - Zotac Amp RTX 2060
RAM - 8Gb DDR4
STORAGE - 1TB Seagate SSD

Edit: I also just realised there is a cooling category here :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
I'm not 100% sure what cooler you're describing but no, I wouldn't expect it to cool it remotely adequately based on the 65W TDP spec.
The 1800X is 95W TDP chip.

Unfortunately, without any budget to do anything you're either
A. Not using the system until you do
Or
B. Running with a cheap cooler as described, and dealing with the system throttling more often than not.

Neither are pleasant experiences - the throttling would be the lesser of two evils, but hardly a good route to.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'm not 100% sure what cooler you're describing but no, I wouldn't expect it to cool it remotely adequately based on the 65W TDP spec.
The 1800X is 95W TDP chip.

Unfortunately, without any budget to do anything you're either
A. Not using the system until you do
Or
B. Running with a cheap cooler as described, and dealing with the system throttling more often than not.

Neither are pleasant experiences - the throttling would be the lesser of two evils, but hardly a good route to.

Solution

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
If you're looking for a cheapest cooler that will do the trick, I think the Gammaxx 200T is roughly on par with the stock cooler that comes with the Ryzen 2700X, which should make it OK for the 1800X. Can't comment on what fan noise will be like though.