[SOLVED] Amd ryzen 7 2700x boosting up to 4.0ghz+ on all cores and up to 1.45 volts when idle

Jimmer05

Prominent
Feb 19, 2021
Hello there,

since Christmas I have been running a ryzen 7 2700x (a quantum leap from my 2200g). However, I've noticed the cpu is boosting to up to 4.35ghz. It will also sometimes boost all cores up to 4.1.The temperatures are also not favourable as they normally spike from 35 to 48 degrees. The voltage is quite high as well. It goes from 0.7 to 1.45 volts all the time (this all happens on idle with only Ryzen master or Hwinfo open). My question is why the cpu is boosting to its maximum speed even when idling (only having some monitoring software open). Is there a way to bring the voltage and clock speeds down? Power plan is set to Windows balanced. In the bios, I only have core performance boost disabled and docp enabled. System specs are below:

Motherboard: asus rog strix b450f gaming
Ram: Xpg gammix d10 16gb (2x8gb) @3000mhz
Gpu: Gigabyte gtx 10606gb oc edition
Case: Cougar mx-410 mesh g rgb (3 intake and 1 exhaust fan)
Psu: Xpg core reactor 650watt 80+ gold
Cpu is running with the stock cooler

Any help will be much appreciated!

Solution
Thank you very much! Feel quite reassured knowing that its just the processor doing its thing. May I ask one more question? I've seen a setting in my bios called C states. I've heard it reduces the voltage and clock speed at idle. Should I enable it? I don't really mind if it affects performance as I don't game all the time. I use my pc a lot at the moment because of online school. Once again, thanks for the reply 😀
Yes, definitely enable advanced C states. When truely idle it will put individual cores into a C6 deep sleep. It doesn't affect performance as the processor is designed to boost individual cores from deep sleep to max clocks and go back to deep sleep as soon as it can to maximize energy efficiency.

Also enable Cool...
My question is why the cpu is boosting to its maximum speed even when idling (only having some monitoring software open).
The answer is windows is never truely 'idle' as there are literally dozens of background processes with thousands of threads open. Open task manager...the Performance tab and see. Most are idle at any moment, but one or two are constantly waking up and doing something. That makes the CPU boost clocks - up to max clock on a single core - to do it fast and go back to sleep for energy saving. It will raise the voltage (up to 1.5V) to keep it stable when it does so. It's even more aggressive on 3000 series processors, and perfectly normal.

I'd actually expect to see boosts up as high as 4.3Ghz, it's rated maximum boost clocks, when it does that. You may not have it set up properly though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimmer05

Jimmer05

Prominent
Feb 19, 2021
Thank you very much! Feel quite reassured knowing that its just the processor doing its thing. May I ask one more question? I've seen a setting in my bios called C states. I've heard it reduces the voltage and clock speed at idle. Should I enable it? I don't really mind if it affects performance as I don't game all the time. I use my pc a lot at the moment because of online school. Once again, thanks for the reply 😀

Yes, definitely enable advanced C states. When truely idle it will put individual cores into a C6 deep sleep. It doesn't affect performance as the processor is designed to boost individual cores from deep sleep to max clocks and go back to deep sleep as soon as it can to maximize energy efficiency.

Also enable Cool and Quiet.

And also be sure to install the AMD chipset drivers, and get them from the AMD support web site to be sure you have the latest.

Last edited:
Solution

Jimmer05

Prominent
Feb 19, 2021
I had a look around in the bios and the only C state related setting I could find is global C states (currently set to auto). Is that the same as advanced c states? Also, cool and quiet is not in my bios.

Last edited: