[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 2700x not boosting enough

Stef Pro

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
Hello,
My Ryzen 2700x is only boosting to 4ghz when playing games. I also noticed that when I do lighter tasks it boosts more. The problem is not the temperature because I have the arctic freezer 34 esports duo and my temps don't get above 50. I have the rx 580, so it's not like I need the extra frequency to increase my performance in gaming, but I was thinking of getting a new graphics card (when there is stock of course) and I want every bit of my cpu's performance. I even enabled precision boost override but the result was the same.
So, my question is, what is the problem?
My specs:
Asus B450m-a/csm
msi rx 580 8gb
ryzen 7 2700x
evga 750w bq
16gb 3200mhz

Solution
I also have a 2700X. According to what I am playing I will typically see the CPU @ 4 with high thread utilization, and ~4.25-ish when playing older single threaded games. I have mine under an AIO as well as using an X370 Taichi which is well known for it's VRM/power delivery.
In spite of that aspect, I cannot use the extended PBO or overclock this CPU in any manner or it becomes unstable. Just the way it goes.
It sounds to me like your CPU is performing as it should. I would not spend a bunch of money chasing it with 5xxx on the market.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Voltages, specifically VID and SVI2 are running high. Single core can reach 1.5v, multi cores generally settle in the 1.4v range. Ryzens are dynamic and will respond not only to temps, but voltages, so if voltages are high, regardless of temps you'll only get so much boost.

Setting or disabling XFR2/PBO can change these as they also change power limits.

Stef Pro

Commendable
Dec 15, 2019
But I tried with PBO disabled and enabled and there was only a slight difference. It went from 4000mhz to 4050mhz. I know that this processor is capable of more.

If we went by this graph:
2nd%20Gen%20AMD%20Ryzen%20Desktop%20Processor-page-022.jpg

Seeing the processor top out at about 4.0GHz sounds about right if the game is pushing enough threads. Also note that since this graph is from AMD, they're likely using the best result and so your processor may not actually reflect this.

However, trying to push an extra 100MHz or so is peanuts for a performance lift at these speeds.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I also have a 2700X. According to what I am playing I will typically see the CPU @ 4 with high thread utilization, and ~4.25-ish when playing older single threaded games. I have mine under an AIO as well as using an X370 Taichi which is well known for it's VRM/power delivery.
In spite of that aspect, I cannot use the extended PBO or overclock this CPU in any manner or it becomes unstable. Just the way it goes.
It sounds to me like your CPU is performing as it should. I would not spend a bunch of money chasing it with 5xxx on the market.

Solution
It was my understanding that about 4 GHz across multiple cores was about as good as it gets/normal....

Anything more required manual entry of clock speeds, and, luck that every core would handle anything higher in sync with the rest of the cores across the little CPU 'chiplets'...