AMD Ryzen 7 2700x - Verified 15% performance decrease

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

iphorde

Honorable
Oct 1, 2018
AMD has introduced a performance penalty in their latest update to their AGESA 1.0.0.4 Microcode. This update decreases the multithreaded performance of the CPU by more than 15%.

I have been in contact with Gigabyte and they acknowledged the problem and were able to reproduce the results as well. The performance decrease can be noticed using real world applications and synthetic benchmarks such as Passmark's PerformanceTest.

Gigabyte said they would be contacting AMD about the issue.

I have since tested this on two other motherboard manufactures and found the same result.

Could someone test the Ryzen 5 2600x and see if this penalty exists there as well?

My guess at the moment is a variant of Spectre flaw was patched and has critically hindered the performance and AMD just silently didn't tell anyone.

open

Solution
There are some claims that newest W10, 1809 lowered performance by 10% but I'm running Skip ahead 1809 and couldn't verify that either. all runs as usual or at least same benchmark scores. Linux Mint doesn't show any different.

iphorde

Honorable
Oct 1, 2018

Yea, probably, I guess you're right. I have tended to get off social media and forums for the past 7 years, but this AMD CPU issue pissed me off so much I couldn't sit around on it.

I'll start contributing, over time, hopefully I'll earn everyone's trust.

i think you should learn enlish...that tast shows performance gain on every game they posted o_O

iphorde

Honorable
Oct 1, 2018

Never mind, I saw the blurry version of the video before youtube had finished encoding it. It looked like a 2 up front.

Are you interested in running a few tests?

go ahead

iphorde

Honorable
Oct 1, 2018

Send me you contact info here:

Ignore the 10 year old website.

Oct 9, 2018

So I run a performance lab and I cannot recreate this issue. Also, we are saying that Gigabyte is aware. Can I ask who you spoke to at Gigabyte none of my engineering contacts will verify this claim. I want to help and have the ability to help but I cannot seem to verify these claims.