AMD Ryzen 7 2700X vs Intel Coffee Lake 8700K

That_Tech_Guy_Again

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2016
So i was comparing the advantages/disadvantages of both processors and i came upon quite the strange thought, when i remembered something about how the 2nd generation Ryzen 7, when using its "turbo boost" would apply turbo boost all cores "WITHOUT REDUCING IT" when 2 or more cores are being used

whereas....

The intel turbo boost "DOES" reducing its ghz per core for every extra core being used.... So the 8700K has 4.7ghz, how,ever if all cores are using turbo boost, what becomes the total ghz per core? Is it 4.3ghz per core while all cores are being used while having turbo boost active?

a summary would be like this

Intel
(e.g 1-core 4.3 and 2-cores 4.2 and 3-cores 4.1 and 4-cores 4.0)

AMD
(e.g. 1-core 4.3 and 2-cores 4.3 and 3-cores 4.3 and 4-cores 4.3)

On a side note: i know that AMD does not use the terminology "turbo boost", however, since it is widely recognized by most and tere is a general understanding of the technoology unlike with AMD's similar technology, i decided to use the same terminology to reference both.

Also, i know that both CPU's do not have the max frequency, however, for simplicity i decided to use the lower ghz frequency to illustrate the point, rather than be factually accurate.

O ne last thing, i found this website which claims that when all cores are being used by the 8700Kthat the max turbo boost for each core, while all cores are using turbo boost is, in fact, 4.3ghz.... Whcich leads me to wonder if Intel is misleading us by only stating their top speed of 4.7 for 1 (single) core, and not total boost speed for all cores.

https://segmentnext.com/2017/10/11/intel-removing-all-core-turbo-boost-from-its-specifications-page/

This is the website which apparently confirms my suspicions.

Also, if per chance, someone knows of a mathematical formula/equation which can be used to find the maximum turbo boost per core/frequency that would be really helpful.

Solution
Intel's all core turbo boost is 4.3GHz (on the Z370 platform) and certainly not a fudge in any way but based on it's TDP of 95w.. It all depends what you need your CPU for as both CPU's are very good indeed. For Gaming outright, its the 8700K and you can also throw in some productivity, especially if you are using the Adobe suite especially due to the use of the IGP update thats uses the Intel IGP to drive better results.

The 2700X come into its own whith heavy productivity levearging the 8 cores and 16 threads and it will game very well. The overclock potential of both CPU's is very different though with a fairly hard stop of around 4.3 to 4.4GHz in extreme cases for the Ryzen all core overclock, and on the 8700K the all core...
Intel is no longer advertising a formula of clock speeds at 2 cores, 3 cores active, 5 cores, etc...; however, as many motherboards support MCE (MultiCore Enhancement), the 8700K's alleged single core max turbo of 4.7 GHz across all cores will be utilized on a Z370 board, *IF* cooling/power delivery constraints allow...

On less than Z370 boards (B360, and perhaps the 12 total delivered H310 boards prior to cancellation), the standard stepped ratios of descending clock speeds the more cores are used, i.e, perhaps two or three cores at 4.6 GHz, four cores at 4.5 GHz , etc., with an all core turbo of 4.3 GHz, will be employed.

Ryzen chips with X of first generation used what they call XFR ( https://www.custompcreview.com/wiki/xfr/ ) which (supposedly) "intelligently" balance power and boost to core(s) that need it at the time to reduce heat etc.
Second gen has two step XFR but only x470 chipsets can apply it properly. Here on X370, my 2700x is not behaving as it should so I settled for permanent OC for now until my new MB arrives. Even with permanent OC, voltage drops quite a bit on light loads/idle and so does power (in Watts) cores require. Advantages to such arraignment: Lower temperatures and power requirements and ready performance at all times.

Intel's all core turbo boost is 4.3GHz (on the Z370 platform) and certainly not a fudge in any way but based on it's TDP of 95w.. It all depends what you need your CPU for as both CPU's are very good indeed. For Gaming outright, its the 8700K and you can also throw in some productivity, especially if you are using the Adobe suite especially due to the use of the IGP update thats uses the Intel IGP to drive better results.

The 2700X come into its own whith heavy productivity levearging the 8 cores and 16 threads and it will game very well. The overclock potential of both CPU's is very different though with a fairly hard stop of around 4.3 to 4.4GHz in extreme cases for the Ryzen all core overclock, and on the 8700K the all core overclock is 5.1 to 5.2GHz at its very best. On average 5 GHz is more than achievable on the 8700K, mine does it without a de-lid!

As said both CPU's are very, very good and we are lucky that we have such a choice thanks to Ryzen bringing in compitition, but if you know your use case, then buy the appropriate CPU...One is not better than the other, it all comes down to what you are really going to be putting your CPU to use.

Finally with Ryzen, I think overclocking is basically over as there is no real point to overclocking due to XFR 2 as you tend to get better results overall using XFR than actually overclocking...to some that is great, to others maybe not..

Solution

Just been there, I'm not sure if and what caused it although I had a small drop with security update in 4012 BIOS which I would blame. If Intel patched all holes, their CPUs would drop even more performance. In any case, both top end processors have more than enough power for now.

TRENDING THREADS