ptminerva

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
Is the AMD Ryzen 7 3700x compatible with the Gigabyte Z710x Gaming 3? The Gigabyte Z170x has a LGA1511, thats as far as I know though. I might be wrong. From the bit of research I have done it should be compatible but I could be wrong and I want to confirm with some experts before I purchase anything.

ptminerva

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
No. Ryzen and Intel are two entirely separate platforms and are not interchangeable.

You need a B350, B450, X370, X470 or X570 mobo. And with all but the X570 you may require a BIOS update for it to work which requires an already compatible CPU in most cases. Some mobos allow for the BIOS to be updated without a CPU installed

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bvfo57/list_of_b350_b450_x370_and_x470_motherboards_with/
So going off of this, is LGA 1511 only used in Intel processors?

7700k would be the best cpu you could drop in that board. But given current prices, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. You're looking at 200+ used, and closer to 300 new.

To move to ryzen you'll need a new board, and depending on your current ram, possibly better ram. Ryzen loves fast memory.

ptminerva

Commendable
Dec 23, 2019
7700k would be the best cpu you could drop in that board. But given current prices, I certainly wouldn't recommend it. You're looking at 200+ used, and closer to 300 new.

To move to ryzen you'll need a new board, and depending on your current ram, possibly better ram. Ryzen loves fast memory.
I currently have 16gb in ram and will probably remain with my current mobo. Thanks for the advice, ill most likely pick up the i7 7700k whenever prices drop a bit

Good luck! I dont see prices on the 7700k dropping anytime soon, if anything they will go up. As stock goes down and they get "rarer " and harder to find. Dont get me wrong, they're good cpu, for now. But they're starting to show there age and struggling on the newest titles. I'm holding onto mine as it still does me well, but ryzen is more than likely my next step.

I'd hold out for a while and then do a platform upgrade to ryzen or 9th/10th gen intel.

Reactions: dorsai

TRENDING THREADS