News AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Drops to $269 at Walmart

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe it's because I live in Louisiana, but I've never seen such parts in a Walmart.
I'll see keyboards, speakers, USB flash, SD cards, monitors, laptops, prebuilt desktops, mics, webcams...

Maybe it's an online only thing?

Reactions: Shadowclash10

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Maybe it's because I live in Louisiana, but I've never seen such parts in a Walmart.
I'll see keyboards, speakers, USB flash, SD cards, monitors, laptops, prebuilt desktops, mics, webcams...

Same. I don't think it's you - not seen any such parts in California/New York Walmarts either. IE, componenets like CPUs. GPUs, RAM, etc.

Reactions: Phaaze88

drewthebrave

Reputable
Aug 16, 2017
I've be waiting a few more days for the Zen 3 announcement before buying anything like this!

Agreed. If I'm going to by a processor that will last me a few years, I want to make sure I don't buy it right before the replacement is announced. At the very least, this 3700x could see a more significant price drop. At best, the newer generation could be such a significant jump in performance that it's worth waiting for.

Reactions: Avro Arrow

styymy

Commendable
May 22, 2018

Correct this would be an online only purchase from Walmart. Walmart actually does sell quite a bit in the area in PC building components but the sales are all online and not in-store purchases.

Agreed. If I'm going to by a processor that will last me a few years, I want to make sure I don't buy it right before the replacement is announced. At the very least, this 3700x could see a more significant price drop. At best, the newer generation could be such a significant jump in performance that it's worth waiting for.
I understand your sentiment but there actually is a time when it's still ok to buy a CPU not too far off from its replacement being announced. In my case, I didn't feel like buying another motherboard (with the way motherboard prices are right now) so I bought an R5-3600X to replace my R7-1700 when AMD had their inevitable (what I call the) "stupid sale" in August where they drop the price stupidly low (in this case, they dropped it $100CAD) for the generation about to be replaced. which usually happens 2-3 months before a new architecture is released.

I think that the point of the stupid sale is that AMD wants to liquidate stock of the previous generation so you pay about the same price that you would post-launch without having to wait. Since I specifically bought my X370 board so that I could upgrade the CPU on the same board, the release of Zen 3 was more or less irrelevant to me except that I knew to keep an eye out for the stupid sale. AMD makes REALLY good margins on its Zen chiplets so they can easily let the price plummet when they need to and still make money.

If you are planning to buy a new motherboard (which is admittedly more common), then I 100% agree with you that waiting for Zen 3 is a no-brainer.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would mention that if you are ever in a WalMart during hours that both and electronics section individual is on, and that they aren't too busy to help you...They have a great deal of storage out on the floor and it can be very advantageous if they will let you look through the stock there. I have found the same is true with Best Buy and others. Often they have great items in there that aren't advertised anywhere and in some case that stock levels aren't aware of.

Reactions: Shadowclash10
Oct 5, 2020

Many years ago a typical Walmart carried a small assortment of components - hard drives, RAM, Graphics Cards, etc., though I don't believe I recall ever seeing CPUs in a store.

My guess is they realized that despite their world class logistical and inventory system, they often found themselves behind the technology curve holding aging inventory nobody wanted because the tech had progressed too fast for them. To say they buy in bulk would be a huge understatement. They buy in BULK.

That's OK for toilet paper and mustard but for PC components, it can leave you holding a very expensive bag, and I'll bet some Bentonville folks found themselves in just that position on more than one "you got some 'splainin' to do" occasion. Hence, they don't stock that stuff in their stores anymore.

Reactions: Phaaze88

drinking12many

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2011
I have an X370 board and I am not planning on replacing it for at least a year so I bought a 3700x a few weeks ago from newegg to replace a 1700, but it was only 289 and came with Assasin's Creed Vallhalla to me that was a better deal. So far its running great with an all-core OC of 4.4 GHZ I spent about an hour and a half converting a movie to H265 it was completely stable :). Hitting about 65C during conversion.