[SOLVED] AMD Ryzen 7 3700x won't boost properly

Apr 16, 2020
Hey guys! I recently built my first PC and checked my clock speeds with Cinebebench R20:

I tried both OC tuner and loading optimized defaults

OC tuner: Single 4,05GHz, Multi 4,05GHz
Optimized defaults: Single 4,29GHz, Multi 3,89GHz

With OC tuner the target frequency is automatically set to 40.50 (that's why it oly boosts to 4,05GHz). When i set it to auto, the PPT in Ryzen master is locked at 88W max (can't change that with Ryzen Master) vs. 395W max when set to 40.50. When i set target frequency to 44.00 all cores boost to 4,4GHz (obviously bad idea because of insufficient cooling).

When loading optimized defaults, max. clock speeds (theoretical) in Ryzen Master are 4,4GHz, but PPT is locked at 88W (again, can't change that in Ryzen Master). That's why Multi Core clock speeds are so low. But Single Core speeds should be higher anyway.

Setup:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
AMD Wraith Prism
ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce 2X 8G

Hope someone can help

Solution
Reset the BIOS to defaults...option BIOS for your drives, set the ram XMP, turn on PBO.

I wouldn't bother with OC tuner or Ryzen Master overclocking unless you're chasing benchmarks...it won't add much of anything to gaming and will hurt other daily workloads by stopping the CPU from bursting to it's algorithm max.

Remember Ryzen is always balancing heat, voltage, and clock speed trying to get the best safe performance from the chip. Turning on PBO will loosen up the motherboard settings so more than 88w will be available at the socket...but there's a catch to using it...things heat up much faster within the chip. Many people have found they get slightly better results without PBO on and just running the chip at stock settings due to...
Reset the BIOS to defaults...option BIOS for your drives, set the ram XMP, turn on PBO.

I wouldn't bother with OC tuner or Ryzen Master overclocking unless you're chasing benchmarks...it won't add much of anything to gaming and will hurt other daily workloads by stopping the CPU from bursting to it's algorithm max.

Remember Ryzen is always balancing heat, voltage, and clock speed trying to get the best safe performance from the chip. Turning on PBO will loosen up the motherboard settings so more than 88w will be available at the socket...but there's a catch to using it...things heat up much faster within the chip. Many people have found they get slightly better results without PBO on and just running the chip at stock settings due to that additional heat PBO introduces in the chip which causes the cores to downclock sooner than at stock. For example your CB R20 score may be higher after a few averaged runs without PBO...it will depend a lot on your cooling setup. Most people do a few runs of CB R20 and average the scores to get a more realistic result indicative of a cpu running a larger/longer workload.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution
Apr 16, 2020

Remember Ryzen is always balancing heat, voltage, and clock speed trying to get the best safe performance from the chip. Turning on PBO will loosen up the motherboard settings so more than 88w will be available at the socket...but there's a catch to using it...things heat up much faster within the chip. Many people have found they get slightly better results without PBO on and just running the chip at stock settings due to that additional heat PBO introduces in the chip which causes the cores to downclock sooner than at stock. For example your CB R20 score may be higher after a few averaged runs without PBO...it will depend a lot on your cooling setup. Most people do a few runs of CB R20 and average the scores to get a more realistic result indicative of a cpu running a larger/longer workload.

Okay thanks. The only problem is, that if i disable OC Tuner and set the target frequency to Auto, that the PPT is fixed at 88W in Ryzen Master. I can change the TDC and EDC, but PPT is always fixed at 88W, even if i change it mannualy in BIOS.

Updated BIOS and Chipset driver.

PPT at 88w should be enough to allow the chip to burst to 4.4ghz if ASUS did their homework right. I don't have an ASUS board but I believe most x570 boards allow you to change the PPT setting independent of other settings...not sure why it wouldn't change...maybe someone with an ASUS board can chime in.