Review AMD Ryzen 7 5700G Review: Fastest Integrated Graphics Ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 13, 2021
Clearly the guy that wrote this piece and declared it "the fastest integrated graphics ever" has rather limited knowledge.
Amd (and Intel, working together) has an old integrated Vega that's close in performance to a gtx1060, basically obliterating the 5700G:
Intel 8809G with the Radeon M GH igpu (found inside intel hades canyon nuc)

It may not be a user replaceable apu, but it IS an igpu that can easily demolish this one in terms of performance. But then again, the clickbait title wouldn't be as good as this, now, would it? :)

Jim90

Distinguished
amd had the chance to crush intel's low end if they just had more modern apu inside...let vega die already. its 2021.
But they ARE crushing the igpu competition...and they're showing they don't need higher than this for that.
Once the competition catches up then, and only then, will they integrate their other choices. From a business point of view this is eminently reasonable, as much as we'd all like integrated rdna2/3 now.

Reactions: waltc3
Sep 13, 2021
But they ARE crushing the igpu competition...and they're showing they don't need higher than this for that.
Once the competition catches up then, and only then, will they integrate their other choices. From a business point of view this is eminently reasonable, as much as we'd all like integrated rdna2/3 now.

So, in short, they're greedy, not offering their best because of weaker competition.
If you were hoping to defend AMD, this argument did worse ...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Clearly the guy that wrote this piece and declared it "the fastest integrated graphics ever" has rather limited knowledge.
Amd (and Intel, working together) has an old integrated Vega that's close in performance to a gtx1060
Where did you get the performance numbers that back this? I haven't been able to find any solid reviews on this.
(not looking for YouTube videos, but article reviews with charts and such)

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
So, in short, they're greedy, not offering their best because of weaker competition.
If you were hoping to defend AMD, this argument did worse ...
Companies exist to make money, and to make as much money (legally) while expending the smallest amount of money possible, so I guess that is greedy? Doing what they are supposed to do? This is literally what every market does. If you were trying to shame AMD for not putting in an iGPU in that makes you feel warm fuzzies, this argument did worse... Of course, if they had gone the route of upgrading the iGPU, then raised the price of the APU, we would probably hear moaning and groaning about how they shouldn't raise the price because it's so greedy of them.

Reactions: Makaveli
Sep 13, 2021
Where did you get the performance numbers that back this? I haven't been able to find any solid reviews on this.
(not looking for YouTube videos, but article reviews with charts and such)

Have you tried... Google?

I've got the performance numbers both from google, but also from actually owning a NUC8i7HVK as my bedroom media pc, but here, i'll post links for you, since it's so hard to find info:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-hades-canyon-nuc-vr,5536.html

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3282-hades-canyon-review-intel-amd-pressure-nvidia-nuc8i7hvk

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...eon-RX-Vega-M-GH-Mini-PC-Review.290800.0.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12572/the-intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked

As I said before: yes, it is not a user replaceable APU, but it is an integrated gpu from over 2 years ago that still mops the floor with all other igpus.

Sep 13, 2021
Companies exist to make money, and to make as much money (legally) while expending the smallest amount of money possible, so I guess that is greedy? Doing what they are supposed to do? This is literally what every market does. If you were trying to shame AMD for not putting in an iGPU in that makes you feel warm fuzzies, this argument did worse... Of course, if they had gone the route of upgrading the iGPU, then raised the price of the APU, we would probably hear moaning and groaning about how they shouldn't raise the price because it's so greedy of them.
Given amd's very low market share in terms of gpus, but decently growing cpu market share, going all in and releasing a cpu with a very powerful igpu would be a good marketing decision, to make them sell even more, and make less people buy Nvidia.
Amd could, in theory, with rdna2 integrated, like the xbox series something and ps5, it could make customers not need to buy an rtx3060 (ti or simple), and thus, keep more marketshare for themselves ;)

greenreaper

Honorable
Apr 3, 2018
With RDNA2 coming in 2022, and prices still abnormally high, it's hard to recommend this as an APU unless you need it now or don't care about the new architecture's boosts in power/perf - or having some level of hardware raytracing support.

To me, having feature parity with the latest consoles is important, because that'll help as many games work on it as possible, even if they don't work as fast. The big question for me is whether RDNA2 will work as well without the large cache in its discrete editions.

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I am pretty sure that the headline's claim is wrong.

I have tested a 5800U based notebook (same chip as the APU at different TDP) and a Tiger Lake i7-1165G7 based NUC.

Both can be configured to operate at 15 and 28 Watts TDP, the NUC has an even wider range.

Both are pretty consistent in that whatever addtional TDP budget you give them, they can really only spend it on the CPU part: Unless you squeeze them further downward, they will tend to a) give iGPUs all energy budgets they can swallow b) not be able to improve the iGPU performance with extra wattage: I suppose that is because they are primarily bandwidth limited.

Interestingly the DRAM bandwidth on the notebook and the NUC are pretty much identical (around 50GB/s), but the performance is not.

I am sorry to say, but Tiger Lake at 96EU trumps Vega9 on Ryzen APUs by around 30% (mostly sorry because I use the NUC as a server and the 5800U on a notebook and the better choice might have been the reverse. But that combination could not be bought...)

And I find it hard to believe, that it should be different with the 5700G, unless you seriously overclock the DRAM to go beyond 50GB/s.

And it's quite telling, that no Tiger Lake is included in the comparison tables at all.

Of course Tiger Lakes with less than 96EU iGPUs won't be able to compete, but when iGPU performance is all you look for in any current SoC, the 1185G7 with its TDP raised to max (the NUC allows 64 Watts) and perhaps a bit of DRAM overclocking is the only true claimant to your headline.

I know catchy headlines sell clicks, but it's getting very disappointing.

Reactions: AlexWolfheart

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
Amd (and Intel, working together) has an old integrated Vega that's close in performance to a gtx1060, basically obliterating the 5700G:

It may not be a user replaceable apu, but it IS an igpu that can easily demolish this one in terms of performance. But then again, the clickbait title wouldn't be as good as this, now, would it? :)

I had completely forgotten about this one, when I hit across this notice a couple of days ago. And when I look at the pictures, it's the exact same Intel NUC chassis (minus the Intel branding but most likely the very same hardware) that they are finally selling off, as (I guess) spare part reservation requirements have expired..

And incidentally, that might explain why they have actually also released a long awaited driver update, which might let it work past the Windows 11 barrier.

If money was no issue, I'd love to test it against the Tiger Lake NUC. But I have a family to feed, so...

There is also lots of Ice Lake hardware (with Iris Plus) and other left overs dredged from the farest corners of the warehouses coming out these days: Chips must be really, really scarce...

Who knows, these might one day sell like Apple 1 or certain Pokmon cards, much more physical than your typical NFT!

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Have you tried... Google?

I've got the performance numbers both from google, but also from actually owning a NUC8i7HVK as my bedroom media pc, but here, i'll post links for you, since it's so hard to find info:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-hades-canyon-nuc-vr,5536.html

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3282-hades-canyon-review-intel-amd-pressure-nvidia-nuc8i7hvk

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...eon-RX-Vega-M-GH-Mini-PC-Review.290800.0.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12572/the-intel-hades-canyon-nuc8i7hvk-review-kaby-lakeg-benchmarked

As I said before: yes, it is not a user replaceable APU, but it is an integrated gpu from over 2 years ago that still mops the floor with all other igpus.
As a matter of fact, I did try Google . . that's what got me YouTube links. But, even glancing at the first two you posted, saying it compares to the GTX 1060 is quite a bit of an exaggeration.

And it's not replaceable, as you pointed out.

And it consumes quite a bit more power.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017

No doubt the Hades Canyon is much faster than the 5700G - but the Hades Canyon is not really an iGPU. The conventional understanding of an iGPU is one that is integrated into the CPU.

The Hades Canyon Radeon GPU is part of the same package, but it is not integrated into the CPU - instead it communicates with the CPU via 8 lanes of PCIe - just like a standard discrete GPU would. It's more of a case where the distance between the CPU and GPU has been shrunk down, whilst still having the limitations of separate components, plus needing to share RAM.

Although it does highlight that a more powerful GPU can run on standard DDR shared with the CPU.

Reactions: msroadkill612

fball922

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Given amd's very low market share in terms of gpus, but decently growing cpu market share, going all in and releasing a cpu with a very powerful igpu would be a good marketing decision, to make them sell even more, and make less people buy Nvidia.
Amd could, in theory, with rdna2 integrated, like the xbox series something and ps5, it could make customers not need to buy an rtx3060 (ti or simple), and thus, keep more marketshare for themselves ;)
That's a fair point, but why bother risking a product with relatively low appeal (who wants to upgrade CPU to get a new GPU? How do you find the right CPU/GPU mix in a high-power APU that has mass appeal?) when they can try to crank out as many GPUs as possible to sell to the mining crowd at elevated prices?

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
That's a fair point, but why bother risking a product with relatively low appeal (who wants to upgrade CPU to get a new GPU? How do you find the right CPU/GPU mix in a high-power APU that has mass appeal?) when they can try to crank out as many GPUs as possible to sell to the mining crowd at elevated prices?
It would be a good option for laptops - which outsell desktops by at least 2:1.

I'm sure it keeps the business analysts at AMD busy, working out the best mix to maximise revenue but minimise cannibalising sales of the discrete GPUs.

Reactions: fball922
Oct 19, 2021

I was just coming on here to post the same thing!

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-vs-AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-GH/m1415260vsm422266

I believe the performance is mainly because the CPU, iGPU and 4GB HBM2 memory are on the same chip. No need to take the long path to shared system RAM.

We have the technology! Why not do this again? Put 6GB HBM3 memory onto the a 5700g chip!? I would have no use to buy a graphics card or a giant desktop PC again. Not to mention it would be more power efficient and better for the planet.

Last edited:

abufrejoval

Reputable
Jun 19, 2020
I was just coming on here to post the same thing!

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...-vs-AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-M-GH/m1415260vsm422266

I believe the performance is mainly because the CPU, iGPU and 4GB HBM2 memory are on the same chip. No need to take the long path to shared system RAM.

We have the technology! Why not do this again? Put 6GB HBM3 memory onto the a 5700g chip!? I would have no use to buy a graphics card or a giant desktop PC again. Not to mention it would be more power efficient and better for the planet.
Putting HBM on a 5700G chip or rather die carrier wouldn't do, you'd have to double or quadruple the GPU part, too, to make it worth it.

I guess looking at the M1/max/pro is a good way of understanding how GPU size and memory bandwidth need to correlate. It also shows that it doesn't have to be GDDRx or HBM to get bandwidth, if you're ready to go really wide. At 512-bit the M1max is as wide as the GDDR5 on my Radeon R9 290X, which reached 320GB/s of bandwidth at 1.25GHz.

The M1max has around 10x the transistors of the Radeon R9 290X to cover the performance gap of say a GTX 1050 to an RTX 3080 and to implement the system level cache it takes to make this work with only 400GB/s of bandwidth instead of the 760GB/s that an RTX 3080 uses. Perhaps the Radeon 6900X is a better point of comparison with 500GB/s and its InfinityCache (or whatever it's called).

HBM just doesn't seem to reach commodity pricing levels, but as the Apple "chips" (die carrier assemblies) show, there are alternatives.

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
"5600g is 5% worse & 30% cheaper" - ummm well yes, but its a small increment in system price for 5% better perf on a struggling gamer with few affordable options

the 5700g has a long listof small advantages that add up to pretty good buying IMO.

w/ what ur saving on a dgpu, hang the expense.

Reactions: systemBuilder_49

msroadkill612

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009

Clearly the guy who wrote this doesn't know what an igp is :) (etched onto the same wafer as the cpu - not a separate chip packaged together w/ a gpu).

systemBuilder_49

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I think a lot of you guys are missing the point. When I got mine in Jan 2022, the 5700g had the fastest integrated graphics and was by far THE CHEAPEST 8-core cpu in AMD's 5000-series of processors. So, a great all-around chip, low power consumption, can play games at 1080p (also integrated vega 8 overclocks from 2000 Mhz to 2400 Mhz rather easily), you can compile code on the 8 cores, and when you're done and upgrade to a 5800x3d or 5950x, you can move the chip into a micro-itx build or HTPC. Just a really great all-purpose chip, and onsale right now for $180 which is a bargain (i got mine for $300 vs. $350 for a 5800x). I actually wanted a 5800x3d but didn't want to wait 3 months for it to be released so I figured this chip would be incredibly usable for years to come, no doubt ...

Last edited:
Reactions: abufrejoval
Status
Not open for further replies.