News AMD Ryzen 7 5700U Materializes In New Benchmark

InvalidError

Titan
On one hand, we have hints saying that Zen 3 will get 5000-branding to end the CPU architecture discrepancy between APUs and CPUs, and now we have a rumor of Zen 2 APUs getting recycled into the 5000 series. If that turns out to be true, AMD's marketing needs a sanity check.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
AMD really screwed the pooch when it comes to naming between their desktop CPUs and mobile CPUs. Would it have killed them to put them on the same version number from the start regardless of what the underlying architecture is?
Now you have this stupid situation where they might actually skip a numbering generation. I find that extremely illogical and dumb.

Reactions: Kamen Rider Blade

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
AMD really screwed the pooch when it comes to naming between their desktop CPUs and mobile CPUs. Would it have killed them to put them on the same version number from the start regardless of what the underlying architecture is?
Now you have this stupid situation where they might actually skip a numbering generation. I find that extremely illogical and dumb.
I've always had the same feeling about their mobile/APU naming schemes.

Honestly, they should move the Mobile/DeskTop APU's to R8/R6/R4 instead of matching the Desktop R7/R5/R3 monikers.

That +1 increment can easily let the customers know that they're getting an APU instead of normal DeskTop chip that doesn't have graphics.

Reactions: King_V
Jun 20, 2020

Honestly, they should move the Mobile/DeskTop APU's to R8/R6/R4 instead of matching the Desktop R7/R5/R3 monikers.

That +1 increment can easily let the customers know that they're getting an APU instead of normal DeskTop chip that doesn't have graphics.
I'm still waiting for the day when manufactures put cpu/gpu hierarchies and abbreviation meanings on box's and websites so everyone knows exactly what they are getting. I feel like happy informed custers e back for more. Oh well only been waiting 20 years. Patience is a virtue I am told.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
>> "Given the connection between Lucienne and [Pierre-Auguste] Renoir, it's fairly safe to assume that AMD's codenamed Lucienne APUs could be an iteration of Renoir. If that's the case, Lucienne should still be wielding Zen 2 cores and Vega graphics....

That's an incredibly weak chain of logic. If you're even going to stoop to reasoning along these lines, I would say that Lucienne, being the child of Renoir, would therefore be Zen 3, not Zen 2. That also corresponds to earlier reports about the 5000-line being used for Zen3.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Or, simpler still . . maybe go with M7/M5/M3 . . or RM7/RM5/RM3, with the M representing Mobile. Possibly switching it to MR instead for "Mobile Ryzen" rather than RM being "Ryzen Mobile."

Reactions: vinay2070

InvalidError

Titan
Or, simpler still . . maybe go with M7/M5/M3 . . or RM7/RM5/RM3, with the M representing Mobile. Possibly switching it to MR instead for "Mobile Ryzen" rather than RM being "Ryzen Mobile."
The current model numbering looks fine to me apart from the CPU generations mixing.
  • nnnn(X) : desktop CPUs
  • nnnnG : desktop APUs
  • nnnnU : low-power mobile
  • nnnnH(S) : high-power mobile

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The current model numbering looks fine to me apart from the CPU generations mixing.
  • nnnn(X) : desktop CPUs
  • nnnnG : desktop APUs
  • nnnnU : low-power mobile
  • nnnnH(S) : high-power mobile
True enough I suppose, I guess I'm stuck trying to figure out what the reasoning is behind the generation number mixing. AMD, please stop doing that!!!